Hey everyone,

So I recently built my AR:

Aero Lower + Upper
14.5 BCM Lightweight mid-length barrel + muzzle break
Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle
ARFCOM BCG
Noveske 11" Rail
Spikes ST-T2 Buffer

Simply put the BCG doesn't go into battery all the way. Even with the first round chambered, I had to use the forward assist to get the BCG all the way in. It seems the bullet doesn't seat ALL the way into the chamber, I tried several different rounds and they all gave me the same issue. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? For an idea, here is a picture of how the BCG looks with 1 round chambered from a magazine with the CH sling shotted in.

UPDATE - its the extractor not the bullet not chambering all the way in
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you pulling the charging handle all the way to the rear and releasing it?

The bolt won't close if you ride the charging handle home.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you checked the headspacing with that barrel/extension/BCG combo? Have you cleaned the chamber at all? I would take a chamber brush and go to town first before anything.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you mean by "excessive pressure"?  Does a round chamber easily if you manually insert it into the chamber? (i.e. with your fingers)
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, if I release it all the way from the back it still ends up not chambering the round all the way.

Quoted:
Have you checked the headspacing with that barrel/extension/BCG combo? Have you cleaned the chamber at all? I would take a chamber brush and go to town first before anything.

I haven't checked the headspacing as I don't have any AR tools besides a basic armorers wrench, and I haven't cleaned the chamber at all no.

Quoted:
What do you mean by "excessive pressure"?  Does a round chamber easily if you manually insert it into the chamber? (i.e. with your fingers)

I mean if I manually chamber a round I have to press with a object very hard to get it in, or use the forward assist on the BCG to get it seated properly. And no, it ends up in the same spot if I chamber it manually
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The cartridge looks to be where it's supposed to be.

In the photo you posted, the bolt doesn't appear fully engaged into the barrel extension.

Two likely options for your malfunction are:

Incorrect fit of gas tube into gas key, either size or location of one or both.  This can be detected readily by sliding the bolt carrier closed in the upper with the upper removed from the lower.  While you're at it, if that test seems normal, try to chamber a round with the upper removed from the lower and see if there's any problem.

Second likely possibility is a problem with the lower receiver parts, such that you're getting a significant amount of drag on the bolt carrier generally from the hammer.  This can be identified by trying your upper on a known good lower.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The cartridge looks to be where it's supposed to be.

In the photo you posted, the bolt doesn't appear fully engaged into the barrel extension.

Two likely options for your malfunction are:

Incorrect fit of gas tube into gas key, either size or location of one or both.  This can be detected readily by sliding the bolt carrier closed in the upper with the upper removed from the lower.  While you're at it, if that test seems normal, try to chamber a round with the upper removed from the lower and see if there's any problem.

Second likely possibility is a problem with the lower receiver parts, such that you're getting a significant amount of drag on the bolt carrier generally from the hammer.  This can be identified by trying your upper on a known good lower.
View Quote

When I originally built the rifle, I took it to Nevada and put in around 90 rounds through it flawlessly, but then the issue started happening. I just did the test by sliding the BCG in without the lower and it seated perfectly fine, yet when I manually chamber the round I have to press my palm against the BCG pretty hard or use FA to get the round seated properly. I just realized when I load the bullet regularly from a magazine, the BCG doesn't seat all the way in because it doesn't pick up the bullet casing. It's not the lower receiver though, I switched it with a friends upper a couple weeks ago (since his was similar to mine except for the Geiselle trigger) and it worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Were your "90 Flawless Rounds" by any chance lacquered steel cased russian ammo?
I think Dano nailed it... Dirty chamber/extension and excessive extractor tension.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
if you have added both a D fender/O ring and an extra tension spring, then right there that is your problem with the extractor tension to great to all the the extractor to snap over.
View Quote

I didn't think of this last night, but that's a good possibility.  The ARFCOM BCG's come with both of those I believe, and the OP doesn't need them with the configuration he's running.

So for the OP.... disassemble your BCG, once you get the extractor apart just remove the rubber O ring around the extractor spring, make sure you have some lube on the bolt, and reassemble.  See if that fixes the problem.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the input guys. The BCG does lock correctly if I don't have a round chambered. After doing research I believe the extractor doesn't "latch" correctly onto the round which is why the BCG sticks out a bit. I just cleaned my rifle today and lubed it up nice with CLP. I also left a round chambered in just the upper so the extractor gets used a bit. Im planning on leaving it like that overnight and taking my rifle out to the range tomorrow or Saturday. Ill report back then and hopefully itll be resolved by then!
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I took it out today after cleaning the chamber, greased up the BCG and took out the o-ring for the extractor to work better. I didn't have to use my FA on any rounds, but I had a TON of FTE's, every other round it seemed like. Im all out of ideas at this point, anybody know what to look at next?
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#14]
put o ring back in, clean and lube try again
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Be careful op!!  I didnt read the op, but wanted to warn you aboout the dangers of forcing a cartridge in with the f/a.  This can lead to a discharge without the gun being fully in battery or the case not sealing the breach and can blow your gun up and injure you.

The fa was a tupid solution to a stpid sproblem and it should not be used except to slilently chamber a round perhaps while hunting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Were your "90 Flawless Rounds" by any chance lacquered steel cased russian ammo?
I think Dano nailed it... Dirty chamber/extension and excessive extractor tension.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Take your bolt apart and post close-ups of your bolt face and extractor if you could...

Also, when you cleaned, did you use a proper chamber brush and scrub the bejeezus out of it?

If you've fired lacquered ammo, you're going to need to scrub for quite a while to get it out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the help guys. The original ammo I shot wasn't lacquered ammo, it NATO spec GGG and im currently using Wold Gold .223. Due to the holidays I haven't had a chance to shoot it again, but heres some pics of the extractor and BCG, please let me know if you find anything out of whack. I did place the O-ring back on so ill see this week if the FTE issues continue.

http://i.imgur.com/yc5y8wJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oI3HEjy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6H5v95V.jpg
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Just wanna say thanks to everyone that gave me suggestions. I took my AR shooting with some friends today and it shot like a dream, I only put 120rds through it but it shot without any problem at all. I think the combination of cleaning the chamber and greasing the extractor pin (so it latches easier) helped fix any problems I had.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top