Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 12:49:41 PM EDT
I need to buy some roll pin punches. What are the sizes of roll pin punches needed to work on the AR -15?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a set from Matco thats served me well the set # is SPR9T and the sizes range or start at 1/16 and end at 5/16.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
1/16 #1, 5/64 #2, 3/32 #3, 1/8 #4, 3/16 #6.    I find roll pin holders more useful than the punches.  #'s 1.2,4 and 5 as I learned it's easier and safer to press the pins in.  I use Moly-Slide when installing the pins.

Got my holders (starters) from Brownells, punches are Lyman via Midway.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for responding. 458winmag, what do you use to press the pin in?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
www.ar15.com/content/guides/
www.ar15.com/content/manuals/
Direct link to the Technical Manual

I use a parallel jaw pliers.  These are pricey but the faces are smooth.  A large Vice grip or Channel lock would work as shown.  I try to keep tools for firearms dedicated to that.  

The tools for our needs are generally better made, finished and designed for one purpose.  All that said you can buy tools to assemble, just about anywhere.  Just get the best quality you can afford.  Go slow and use lube on the spring pins, and their holes

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
.... What are the sizes of roll pin punches needed to work on the AR -15?
Thanks.

For the lower receiver, 5/64" for the bolt stop pin, and 1/8" for the trigger guard pin. They are good to have, even if the Vise-Grip method is used to push them in- good for starting and the final setting the pin just in the right place. I haven't assembled an upper, so don't know those. The starter punches are also probably good to have, but I haven't picked those up yet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... What are the sizes of roll pin punches needed to work on the AR -15?
Thanks.

For the lower receiver, 5/64" for the bolt stop pin, and 1/8" for the trigger guard pin. They are good to have, even if the Vise-Grip method is used to push them in- good for starting and the final setting the pin just in the right place. I haven't assembled an upper, so don't know those. The starter punches are also probably good to have, but I haven't picked those up yet.

Don't you mean 3/32 for the bolt catch? 5/64 is for the gas tube roll pin.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top