Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2013 2:30:09 AM EDT
I recently purchased a RRA LAR15 from a gun shop at a show. How do I know it is 100% RRA?  What are typical serial numbers start with? KT? AV? CN?
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 4:30:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a RRA LAR15 from a gun shop at a show. How do I know it is 100% RRA?  What are typical serial numbers start with? KT? AV? CN?

Doesn't really matter what he typical serial numbers are as the only serialized portion of the AR is the lower receiver. A legit RRA serial number wont tell you if the upper is legit or not. I've seen guys post up their new M&P 15s (with real M&P serial numbers) that are clearly NOT factory M&Ps. Post up some pics and someone with more knowledge of the LAR15 will be able to help.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 4:46:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a RRA A4 midlength... the forging mark on the upper is a keyhole and the RRA logo is on the top of the rail (rear end)... distinctive aluminum full float tube (mine is without rails)
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 5:01:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a RRA A4 midlength... the forging mark on the upper is a keyhole and the RRA logo is on the top of the rail (rear end)... distinctive aluminum full float tube (mine is without rails)

That doesn't really help the OP either as earlier RRA rifles didn't have marked upper receivers. Lots of companies have used the "keyhole" marked uppers. I think RRA can verify if the rifle left their factory as a complete rifel or stripped receiver by calling them and giving them the serial number. Other companies do this, as I would expect they need to keep track of this somehow.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Call RRA, give them the serial number. They will tell you if it was sold as an assembled rifle, or a stripped lower.

That should get you started at least.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Look at the barrel RRA usually has distinctive markings they use as most the barrels are Wilson.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#6]
You can also look here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_38/149779_RRA_barrel_code_list_.html

ETA: drop it like it's hot
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My RRA A4 Mid-length that I got directly from the RRA factory a little over a year ago has the open square forge mark of Brass & Aluminum.  I think they get their forgings from several different sources.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Snake.driver... I shot all 6 of the Ft Benning 3 gun matches with it, so it's at least 8 years old... sorry, just trying to help
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Snake.driver... I shot all 6 of the Ft Benning 3 gun matches with it, so it's at least 8 years old... sorry, just trying to help

The think the keyhole or Cerro Forge mark is the most common on RRA's.  I was surprised last year when my complete RRA upper arrived from the factory with the open square on it.  The stripped Armalite lower I used with the RRA upper has the keyhole.

With demand being what it is these days, AR manufacturers are probably getting their forgings from wherever they can get them.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top