Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2005 9:54:50 AM EST
I had a few USGI 20 rounders that had a missing or loose rivet on the flat spring. I found a company that carries small 1/16 diameter aluminum rivets, so I got a pack to try replacing the damaged rivets. They work like a charm - insert the rivet, tap it flat with a ball pein hammer, and that's it. I used a section of steel bar in a vise to support the magazine and rivet while tapping it flat.

www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/TNMRVL.cfm

Just though I'd throw this out there for anyone who's interested. I know it's probably easier to just remove the spring altogether and use a floorplate from a 30 rounder (I have done this, too), but I wanted to try it to see how it would work. Should make good range mags if nothing else.

Regards,
Dave
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:12:37 PM EST
Hokiedave,

I have repaired the lower rivet with a standard 1/8" diameter aluminum rivet, peened the inside down filed the outside head down flat. This has worked good. I am glad you listed the micrp fastener website, this will help.

77Bronc
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:42:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2005 3:43:26 PM EST by Sgt_Gold]
Another solution to the 20 round mag problem is to remove the flat steel piece all together and replace the floor plate with a 30 round unit. I've finally stumbeled across a source of 30 round floorplates.

dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=288]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:55:58 PM EST
Hokie, a few years ago I had a few twenty rounders in need of repair, and I don't own a rivet gun. I brought them to a local auto body shop and they replaced the rivets in five mags for a grand total of $4.00.

It might be worth a shot if you can't find another source. Auto body shops use the exact same rivets that we use in our magazines
Top Top