Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2010 8:29:13 AM EDT
On an A4 upper with standard front sight, what height of rings are needed to absolute co-witness a red dot sight?

ETA.  I should have mentioned that I am looking for a physical measurement in inches or millimeters.  Not high, medium, or low.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Are talking about rings for a scope?  If so why does it matter, with a scope it wont co-witness.....An optic is not the same as a red dot....
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I said ring, singular, in the topic and then rings, plural, in the body.  My bad, sorry for the confusion. What I really meant was ring, singular.  Use would be for a 30mm tubed red dot.

I am assuming the correct way to measure would be from the picatinny mating surface to the center line of the ring.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I said ring, singular, in the topic and then rings, plural, in the body.  My bad, sorry for the confusion. What I really meant was ring, singular.  Use would be for a 30mm tubed red dot.

I am assuming the correct way to measure would be from the picatinny mating surface to the center line of the ring.

For an absolute cowitness, you want a ring that measures 1.40" from the top of the picatinny rail to the center line of the scope ring/optic.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For an absolute cowitness, you want a ring that measures 1.40" from the top of the picatinny rail to the center line of the scope ring/optic.

Perfect.  Thanks!

Would a lower 1/3 mount need to be about 1.65" then?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect.  Thanks!

Would a lower 1/3 mount need to be about 1.65" then?

Depending upon your specific definition of "lower 1/3," it would need to be closer to 1.725.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top