Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Posted: 3/9/2010 8:29:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2010 11:20:08 AM EDT by safehaven]
On an A4 upper with standard front sight, what height of rings are needed to absolute co-witness a red dot sight?

ETA.  I should have mentioned that I am looking for a physical measurement in inches or millimeters.  Not high, medium, or low.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:07:03 AM EDT
Are talking about rings for a scope?  If so why does it matter, with a scope it wont co-witness.....An optic is not the same as a red dot....
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:15:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2010 11:17:38 AM EDT by safehaven]
I said ring, singular, in the topic and then rings, plural, in the body.  My bad, sorry for the confusion. What I really meant was ring, singular.  Use would be for a 30mm tubed red dot.

I am assuming the correct way to measure would be from the picatinny mating surface to the center line of the ring.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:27:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By safehaven:
I said ring, singular, in the topic and then rings, plural, in the body.  My bad, sorry for the confusion. What I really meant was ring, singular.  Use would be for a 30mm tubed red dot.

I am assuming the correct way to measure would be from the picatinny mating surface to the center line of the ring.

For an absolute cowitness, you want a ring that measures 1.40" from the top of the picatinny rail to the center line of the scope ring/optic.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:43:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Molon:
For an absolute cowitness, you want a ring that measures 1.40" from the top of the picatinny rail to the center line of the scope ring/optic.

Perfect.  Thanks!

Would a lower 1/3 mount need to be about 1.65" then?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:49:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By safehaven:
Originally Posted By Molon:

Perfect.  Thanks!

Would a lower 1/3 mount need to be about 1.65" then?

Depending upon your specific definition of "lower 1/3," it would need to be closer to 1.725.

Top Top