Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2003 3:22:18 PM EDT
Vltor Extended/Full length battery tubes for the CAR length Vltor stock system

My upgrade version of the tubes came in today.  The following are my initial impressions.  I’m no pro here so bear w/ me...

The tubes are long enough for 2 AA batteries, 3 DL 123 size lithium batteries, and many Aimpoint 1/3N sized batteries.  All of the above easily fit w/ foam earplug “cushions” @ each end of the tube, and between the batteries in order to isolate for shock.

The tubes’ new lanyard caps leave a small amount to be desired.  The thinnest area of lanyard material is a “brittle” polymer.  It does not flex or “crush” well.  After either repeated flexing, or too severe a flex the material will crack, and or show the tell tale signs of stress in plastic, the whitening of the area.  The lanyard will break w/ hard use.  Eric at Vltor, however, assures me the problem, is known and being adressed, in future production lanyard caps.
The lanyard caps, will not fit w/ KAC’s ambi model1pt. Receiver Type sling mounts.  The extra area occupied by the mount rearward of the lower receiver, does not allow the stock to close to its last locking detent in a Vltor 5 pos. tube or a Colt/MilSpec 4 pos. tube.  The standard caps will fit w/o a problem.  The cap opposite the sling swivel will also fit w/ the lanyard installed, w/o a problem.

They appear, initially, like a cut down “Rifle Length battery tube "a la" Lordstoner's mod of his own full length battery tubes, so Lordstoner; “Nice work”. There is only a foward screw mounting location on the production tubes, like Lordstoner's, and the forward most srew hole has been eliminated as the tubes will only mount in the forward most position, so the "1st" screw hole isn't needed or usable.  On the production version of these tubes Vltor went w/ the same composite material used in the stock and tubes, not Lordstoners aluminum.  The tubes are indeed water tight, the  "dead end" caps are sonically welded in place, and resist any attempts to pry them off w/ anything less than a screwdriver, I wasn’t looking to break them just test them.

All in all, a worthwhile upgrade, when the lanyard caps are perfected the set up will be simply awesome.  Be advised, save your pennies, according to Eric at Vltor, there are projects in the works, that will be on all of our “must have” lists.  So stay tuned boys and girls...

Just a side by side comparison, for anyone interested.  Note the single screw hole @ the forward most attachment pt., and the need for only 1 allen head screw now.

Here you can see the 2AA batteries and the 3 123 size lithiums easily fit w/ a little cushion from a std. foam earplug.

The new lanyard caps will not fit the Ball lock swivel in KAC's ambi. Pushbutton swivel mt.  Note the stock is not collapsed all the way, and not secured.

The standard caps have no fit issues however.

The same problem occurs w/ KAC's sling swivels in their ambi. mt.

Again the std. caps are a good fit.

a close up of the "dead end" of the extended or full length CAR size battery tubes.  These are "sonically welded" and have a tough bond.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The tubes are long enough for 2 AA batteries, 3 DL 123 size lithium batteries,
View Quote

That is good news.  9v Surefire owners w/ Eotechs will be ordering these up for sure.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
REQ:
Sula can you also post a photo of how the KAC mount interferes with those caps... THX
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Will do.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the excellent review!  I will be ordering a set soon and I'll probably hold off on the lanyard caps.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:53:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Just a note...I got my new brown Vltor last night, and I LOVE it!

I can't wait to see what attachments they have coming out next.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Update!

I just ordered the full length battery tubes from Vltor and I was told that the lanyard caps have been temporarily discontiuned until they can find a better solution.

Looks like the guys at Vltor are on the ball![:D]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Yojimbo,

The guys at Vltor ARE on the ball.

We wanted the full length battery tubes, they responded, now the battery caps, they are very responsive to their customers, and from having spoken to Eric at Vltor, I can tell you their customer support is 100% A+++, its what every co. should strive for.  This release of the lanyard caps was intended to do exactly what it did; find the flaws using our feedback, and then allow its designer to react w/ a product improved.  That's awesome, none of that "here this is what you need, now take it or leave it" stuff for the guys at Vltor.  Thank you, Eric.

/S2
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#8]
you know, looking at the pic with the full lenght tube attached...
by leaving off the rear screw they left the slot for the sling clear...

All I can say is...
[b]Great R&D!!!!!![/b] [headbang]
I am convinced, I am going to pick up the full length tubes when VLTOR squares away the cap/lanyard thingie.

I think the next area to look at is that swivel sling mount, I don't care for the swivel, gets the sling all tangled up. Or is it just me? [:\]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Eric listened to our suggestions, addressed the tube length and postban issues, I hope and think he'll be richly rewarded [:d]
My next suggestion, if it has any merits, is to enlarge the tube a bit.  Vltor's cheekweld is a vast improvement over the original and the ribbed (these damn ribbs don't seem to do a thing for cheekweld) The Crane's big cheek piece is still more comfortable.  Strange that since Colt came out with the ACR years ago, they themselves didn't incoroporate the ACR stock cheek pad into their stock.
Also this is a strictly personal preference, I'd like to see the Vltor made longer.  With the Vltor's 5 position stock, the added length shouldn't be a problem for most folks, or perhaps Vltor can make a 7 position buffer extension, mimicking the ACR setup.
I can't wait to see more development and refinement of Vltor [:)]
[img=left]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid88/p9104dc4f88f06a0991abe451a9ea4564/fa8e726d.jpg[/img=left]
[img=right]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid88/pa0e9ded655da13960206fba85bd43dd9/fa8e7275.jpg[/img=right]
[img=right]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid88/p5dab49caf811a219089a13b0248cd94f/fa8e727c.jpg[/img=right]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#10]
CB1,

go ahead and order the full lengths, w/o the lanyard caps, they are a separate order currently, yoor factory(std.) caps will work perfectly.  Later when the capsa are perfected, you can order separately and upgrade to lanyards.  They are currently separate order items anyway.

/S2
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#11]
S2,
I am looking at your first pic with the full-length tubes.

How is the stability with only 1 screw holding it secure?

I am not a "operator", but what are the chances of something getting wedged under the rear portion of the tube and pulling it up while under combat/competition stress?

Lastly, where did you order them, from VLTOR directly? how much?
THANKS!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
thericker,
I was asking about ordering just the tubes...I have a standard/black
Sounds like you got sweet deal tho.
Thanks anyways
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice review.

Glad to see that Vltor is keeping up with peoples requests. Great Customer Service!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Another problem w/the new caps is they are not as water proof. The lan. goes all the way through the cap.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got my vtor last week and it rocks!! I havent fired my AR15 with it due to my laser eye surgery but when my eyes settle down I will be putting her through my trials. My vtor didnt come with the long tubes so im going to order them tommorow. also great review you sold me on the upgrade.
      FREE
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Freefall, I appreciate it.

My caps were fine w/ watertightness, when submerged, even w/ the lanyard passing through the cap, that was incorporsted into the design.

UPDATE:  Spoke w/ Eric at Vltor today, he's working on a Sunday.  There's a distinct possibility that the caps w/ lanyards I received, were made up, incorrectly by the molder w/ a lanyard made of a material, specifically NOT specified by Vltor.  IE- the molder may have gotten it wrong.  The material selected and specified ny Vltor is apparently a MUCH more pliable and sturdy form of the composite.  Ther may have been a "mistake" on the part of the molder, of using a different composite that is much more brittle than Eric wanted or intended.  The caps here are going back to Eric for his review 1st thing in the AM.  There may have been mixed lots of the lanyards made up w/ some shipping in their correct form, and others in error.  Because Eric's a stand up guy, at great expense to Vltor, as has been stated, he's cancelling all caps until its straightened out to his satisfaction.  Hopefully its a material error on the opart of the molder, and we get a superior lanyard.  That'd appear to be a quicker solution than a re-design. Will keep everyone posted, this one may not be a Vltor issue.

/S2
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Hot damn!  Got home today and my extended battery tubes were waiting for me!

I orded direct from Vltor Friday afternoon and it already here two days later!  That's some super customer service and fast shipping!

Thanks Vltor!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#19]
thanks for the review, SULAC02.
FWIW, i've been using my own lanyard mod for the vltor caps for a while now - 550 cord sheath through a small hole in the cap and held by a knot on the inside.  i only use one length of 550 cord going from one cap to the other, making a single loop.  it's never hung up on anything and aids in pulling the cap out.
some pics here (username and password are both 'mm' to view pics):
[url]http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/img/rmod3.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/img/vltorclub.jpg[/url]
i'm looking fwd to seeing what new projects eric has up his sleeve.  and i concur, his service is great.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#20]
SULACO2-

Your review also sold me on the new tubes.  

I noticed that your receiver extension lock ring is the older CAR style with the spanner wrench holes.   Did you put that due to the KAC plate?  

I didn't have a problem with the VLTOR stock & tube, KAC plate, and newer "Castle" style ring on my TA11 carbine.  But when I put the same KAC plate on another rifle using a genuine Colt CAR stock and tube, the castle ring was about 1/8"  too fat behind the KAC to allow the stock to fully close.  I switched to the older style ring like your photo, and was then able to close it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top