Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2003 10:09:30 AM EDT
How do you, or can you repair cracked feed lips and dents? Are there any particular tricks to the trade? Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I was just curious if a little JB Weld and a dremel could salvage 'doomed' mag bodies to keep cost down.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
if you have damaged mag bodies, you can buy new replacement bodies and use the old spring, floorplate, follower if you want to keep costs down
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I was planning on replacing most of the floor plates, worn springs, and all black followers...
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried JB weld on a feed lip this past spring.  It didn't take long for the crack to reappear.

I did have a guy at work MIG weld another lip for me and after 8 mags worth it hasn't appeared yet.

I do keep these mags for range use only.  I don't think I would trust then for anything else.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The mags aren't even here yet, I'm just trying to plan out what if just incase :)
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Matt,

If your getting the ones I sent back to Hatebreed, look them over carefully I think you'll find at least 3 maybe 4  of the 10 that have cracked feed lips.

Hatebreed never advertised that these were damaged mag...he just said they were range mags.

A range mag in my definition is one that is functional, but in some way not not visually perfect...like dents, dings, scratches etc.

Like the man said...cracked feed lips are not functional, or trustworthy in any way...they are junk, trash, garbage.  No mag that has cracked or broken feed lips is worth $7.50, cause you can sure buy a new spring for $3.00, and new floor plate for $1.00 and a follower for $.65....that's a grand total of only $4.65

Why would anyone want to buy a broke mag that they are only gonna salvage??? Just don't compute with me.

So my point is...people that sell mags and advertise them as range mags and then deliver broke mags are doing an injustice to the customer...That's why I guarantee every mag I sell...unconditional or your money back.

I just wish I could get my money back...but that is another story.

Matt...don't waste your time. Toss them and concede the fact that you just paid $75.00 for 6 mags.

Oh, and one more word of caution....those tabs are paper tissue thin even on the "good" ones...be real careful taking the floor plate off...you will snap them off in a heart beat.

LOL
Chuck
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#9]
75.00 shipped for 6 functional mags and being able to buy replacement bodies to me is worth it. I didn't want to go and spend 200.00 on new mags. I mean shit, what am I gonna do with 10 mags anyway, the only reason I bought all of them was to insure getting a few decent ones for a refinish and then beater mags. :)

Matt
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top