Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 5:57:19 PM EDT
Ten years ago I would have tossed this stock.  After I repaired a set of handguards with Plastifix a few months ago, I thought I'd try it on this stock, since Type "C" stocks are getting scarce.

Here is a pic of the chip in the stock:

First, I cleaned it up with a Dremel for better adhesion:

Then, I installed a buffer tube with some wax paper so the Plastifix would not stick to it:

Sprinkled black Plastifix to fill the chip:

Dripped Plastifix Liquid on with a syringe to saturate the powder:

Waited about half an hour, then removed the buffer tube, sanded, rubbed out and polished:

The plastifix is hard, and is as strong as the original material.  Not perfect, but it looks decent; most people wouldn't notice, and another stock lives to fight another day...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
nice.  if i remember from the other post, this stuff isn't cheap right?  still to be able to save a type C is a win.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Freakin awesome!!! Thanks for the tip..Your stock looks great?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks like a pretty nice repair job to me. I wonder how it would work injected into a crack, clamped to dry, and then sanded back down smooth?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent, VAAR!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
nice.  if i remember from the other post, this stuff isn't cheap right?  still to be able to save a type C is a win.

$36 for a volume "just a little bit smaller than a golf ball"... you could probably fill a lot of cracks and chips with that, though.  Biggest problem would be having enough parts to use it on.

PlastiFix Kit (Black)

That did come out really well; wouldn't notice the fix unless I was looking for it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought the big kit; just keep it around until I need it.  The stuff doesn't go bad...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I bought the big kit; just keep it around until I need it.  The stuff doesn't go bad...

You have the PlastiFix, and there might be other people who have chipped furniture and money...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#8]
That's Awesome! The fix looks really good & almost look like mottling in pics 6 & 7.

BTW that is a nice stock. Is it really that black or is the light hiding the mottling?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Sweet repair job. Hope I won't be needing plastifix but good to know it's out there. Another retro part saved to be used all over again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:36:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice fix!  
Definitely worth the time and effort.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's Awesome! The fix looks really good & almost look like mottling in pics 6 & 7.

BTW that is a nice stock. Is it really that black or is the light hiding the mottling?

The colors in the pic are true.  All of my Type "C" stocks look like that, not like some of the more mottled variety often seen in pics...

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The colors in the pic are true.  All of my Type "C" stocks look like that, not like some of the more mottled variety often seen in pics...

That is the way I like my C's, shiny black w/very little mottling.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top