Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 9:48:15 PM EDT
Ok, so I'm very new to the AR world... I picked up a Magpul M93B, and I'm planning to put it on my lovely new carbine. But to do that, I first have to remove the 6 position stock that's already on it. Maybe there's an easy way to do this and I just haven't found it yet - but what's the best/easiest way to reomve the castle nut and standard collapsible stock  if I don't have an Armorers tool/wrench? I've also seen references here to some castle nuts being "staked?" How do I tell if this one is or not? And if it is, what the heck do I do about it?

Any help you can send my way would be much appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
PLEASE..wait the time necessary to have an armorer wrench shipped to you, basically every other method is guaranteed to scratch the stock retaining nut. I managed to BUILD my stock wrench because I live oversea, I tried to disassemble stock with other methods scratching it nicely.

Buy a stock wrench.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
mount lower in vise, get puch and hammer on notches in direction need.

but yeah the correct tools work better
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I just took an older style 2 position car stock off my preban lower today. I replaced it with a new 6 position but the new style tool wouldn't work with the old style stock...So I had no choice but to wrap the castle nut with a towel and use adjustable pliers. It came right off with no scratches. I wasn't going to use any of the old hardware so I didn't care about scratching it but it worked out great .  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That's how i got my YHM FF tube off after I broke the wrench trying to unscrew it.

excvept i had it laying flat with somebody holding it down
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:54:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yup. Did that myself but i did manage to nick the notches of the nut!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the proper wrench and Download the freaking -23&P (click on Information button above then select Manuals & Downloads).  Chapter 3 has the info you seek.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]
MNArcher

I have a wrench you could borrow. IM me if you are local to Minneapolis.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#8]
these castle nuts are pretty much the same a adjusters on motorcycles and collet chuck nuts. take your stock to a cycle shop or tool and die distributor and ask for a spanner nut wrench, or collet chuck nut wrench. they most  likely will have on on the shelf that will work.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1720995&PMT4NO=4557052

i'm not sure of the size but you get the idea
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I recently replaced my 6pos carbins stock with a Magpul M93b stock. Great stock. No more rattle and very stable platform. Great cheek weld too.

I wrapped the buffer tube with an old towel, and placed it in the vise to hold it still. Then, I just used an adjustable spanner wrench (adjustable from 3/4"- 2") to remove the collar nut. Worked great, and no scratches on anything.

The best thing is to take your time.....and it will all come out O.K.

GOOD LUCK!

4X4SC
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok, so I'm very new to the AR world... I picked up a Magpul M93B, and I'm planning to put it on my lovely new carbine. But to do that, I first have to remove the 6 position stock that's already on it. Maybe there's an easy way to do this and I just haven't found it yet - but what's the best/easiest way to reomve the castle nut and standard collapsible stock  if I don't have an Armorers tool/wrench? I've also seen references here to some castle nuts being "staked?" How do I tell if this one is or not? And if it is, what the heck do I do about it?

Any help you can send my way would be much appreciated!

If I remove one that is staked I have to use a punch in the direction  I want it to go - no idea how you would use a wrench to remove a staked castle nut.  Take your time and 1 whack - reset the punch - whack reset - whack reset.  You will begin to see the castle nut move past the staking.  how will you tell if it's staked?  Lok at the back plate where it interfaces with the castle nut - see if the plate has been "peened" or staked to move a small amount of metal into the castle nut "wrench notches" for lack of a better term.   If it's staked get out the hammer and proper punch - it wont seem like you're getting it but just keep whacking and grinning - it will force past the staking.  Sacrificing a castle nut isn't a big deal anyway and the Magpul 93 wont need it.......
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#11]
will the Magpul not simply slide right on the existing buffer tube?

If the author has non-spec tube like Bushmaster, RRA etc. I thought the M93A-B was a fit

But not for Colt, LMT etc.

No?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
will the Magpul not simply slide right on the existing buffer tube?

If the author has non-spec tube like Bushmaster, RRA etc. I thought the M93A-B was a fit

But not for Colt, LMT etc.

No?

The Magpul uses its own integral tube redfisher - comes with a pack of shims of varrying thicknesses to index the thing.  Installation can be a pain - if you take your time it's OK.  I had to reduce one the shims with emery paper to get the proper fit...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the replies!

eagle308us - IM'd ya.... If you're nearby, I think I'd like to give the wrench a shot.  But I'm also kind of impatient and want to get my new stock installed - so if it doesn't work out, I may just have to give it a try with the hammer and punch...

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top