Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 1:04:52 AM EDT
What's the best way to remove the sand inside the FSB gas port as well as in the bore and chamber?

I've gotten 2 barrels from Bushmaster so far and they've always been covered with some type of sand in the nooks and crannies.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I've found that the cans of compressed air (like those used to clean computers) work pretty good at getting rid of small shit like that. When I cut down my FSB I had lots of shavings all over the place. The can of air worked real well.
Like this one:

Pick'em up at radio shack for a few bucks.

Gene

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#2]
brake cleaner
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:44:15 AM EDT
[#3]
That sand is probably glass bead blast material. I had a Oly barrel with that same material embedded in the FSP threads. Best way to remove is as mentioned above. Flush with some type of solvent i.e. break cleaner or better yet mineral spirits. Then blow dry with compressed air.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:51:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I use shop air from a blower and then I flush it with carb cleaner. Then more air, then I run a few patches of CLP through the bore because I don't like to have carb cleaner in my bore for more than a minute. Finally I wipe down the entire barrel with a light coating of CLP.

Some guys use a blower and a deep sink with warm water and a little dish soap, which also works very well. You need to thoroughly rinse the soap out and then take the blower to it until it's dry. Of course it will need a few bore patches with CLP and a CLP wipe down.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top