Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2007 6:21:06 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I got this piece awhile ago but I just recently decided to upgrade it a bit. I went ahead and put an eotech 512 on it and a hoque grip. I'm definitely putting some rear flip ups. I called an armory today to see if they have front and rear flips and the guy asked me what kind of rifle I had, I explain to him its the bushmaster with the little ring on the flash suppressor and he said it couldn’t be removed. Is this true? Cant I just use a wrench or is it STUCK on there? Is it worth having a gunsmith make it removable for me or should I just sell this piece and get one that I can remove the flash supp from?

Thank you everyone!
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
nobody knows huh?   :/
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The flash hider will be pinned on if it is a ban era gun. you can see the spot weld & would probably want a gunsmith to do the conversion.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
try it
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
There is nothing on an AR rifle that can't be done, but we would definitely need more info than you provided to help you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#5]
maybe it's red loctited on ? try a propane torch on the flash hider and muscle the bastard off ? if you have it gunsmithed off you might aswell just have him cut the barrel and rethread it ^_^ short barrels kickass
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope these guys give you a better idea of what my problem is. Also, if I do attempt to torch it and remove it, do you think it will discolor the barrel/fs? It's normal thread right, not clock-ise or anything? Sorry for sounding like a noob...but I've never done anything like this before.  :/

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it fellas.

http://www.envyrabid.com/myspace/flashsupp01.jpg
http://www.envyrabid.com/myspace/flashsupp02.jpg
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
IMHO:

That will be pinned on because otherwise it is a SBR  (14.5" barrel = $200 NFA tax).  you should see a faint circular blemish on the hider probably on the underside & not on the flats.  That is the weld over the pin.  A 'smith could do the work & permenantly reattach one, but you'd have the same problem down the road.  probably best to just sell it & buy a 16"  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Yup, faint circular blemish it is! You can see that it was welded, then smoothed out. Oh well, I guess I'm just going to throw some flip-ups on the rear and just deal with the fixed fronts. Heck, less moving parts is a good thing I guess.

Thank you ALL for your help. I've learned so much from this forum...thanks again.

;)
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]
If your interested in a free float tube or some rail you could do the following....

You could mill the FSB down, knock out the pins in it, slide it forward, cut off the rings around the gas tube by the receiver. Then slide on the nut from your new rail system- reassemble.
  Screw on the new handgaurd ie, Midlength or rifle length covering the FSB, then put your flipups on. Just mount it to the handgaurd.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top