Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 7:27:49 PM EDT
I'm trying to take the barrel off of my Model 1 upper. It came with the free float handguard. I got the handguard off but my DPMS armorer's wrench does not line up with the holes in the Model 1 free float barrel nut. Am I doing something wrong or which item is out of spec? Suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. The wrench I have is the DPMS Muti- Tool and it is out of spec. I called DPMS and talked to an engineer there and he said that they had a bad batch where the pins were wide. I probably also have the same FF tube. All I did was take a file and lightly file a little off the outside of each pin making sure to contour it as I went. Did this until it fit with a little slop. I asked the engineer if it would work ok first before I did it. He said it should work ok.

You decide whether you want to modify or return though. If you take to much and it breaks it's your problem not theirs. I'm sure if you wanted to return it that they would make it good. I did it and installed a barrel and it worked fine. Removing might take more pressure and it may fail but I doubt it because the pins are soft.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Good info! Thanks. I'll go with the file the prongs solution.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. The wrench I have is the DPMS Muti- Tool and it is out of spec. I called DPMS and talked to an engineer there and he said that they had a bad batch where the pins were wide. I probably also have the same FF tube. All I did was take a file and lightly file a little off the outside of each pin making sure to contour it as I went. Did this until it fit with a little slop. I asked the engineer if it would work ok first before I did it. He said it should work ok.

You decide whether you want to modify or return though. If you take to much and it breaks it's your problem not theirs. I'm sure if you wanted to return it that they would make it good. I did it and installed a barrel and it worked fine. Removing might take more pressure and it may fail but I doubt it because the pins are soft.

OK, now how hard should I have to tug on that wrench before the nut comes loose. I'm a pretty big guy and I tugged pretty hard on it but it won't budge. I just don't want to tear anything up.hinking.gif
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top