Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:53:26 AM EDT
We have a 24" Rock River Varmint A4 and would like to media blast the shiny barrel. The gas block/tube is removed, but we can't get the aluminum free-float tube to budge... we've broken 2 Klein strap wrenches. Are we wrong to assume the Rock River free-float tube is simply threaded onto the receiver? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a locking ring at the back of the tube?

You would have to back that off with spanner wrench or a punch and hammer then the tube should turn right off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
double tap
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't see a lock ring... it looks like the aluminum free float tube doubles as the barrel nut and threads directly onto the receiver??

I apologize for photo quality... and yes, the gas tube is installed in this picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/RazorbackME/photo.jpg
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't see a lock ring... it looks like the aluminum free float tube doubles as the barrel nut and threads directly onto the receiver??

My RRA Varminter was that way. One solid piece.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#5]
The RRA free float tube is a one piece handguard.  There is no lock ring.  They are just a mofo to get off.  I'm not sure but I think they use a poor anti-sieze compound which, paradoxically, siezes up.  It might just be an adhesive.  

There is only one way to do it - buy this tool.  If you were local, I'd lend you mine.  I tried everything else - freezing, strap wrenches, heating, ...nothing worked except the wrench.  With the wrench it came right off.  This is the tool for the job.  No other tool will work.

When you put it back on, put it on TIGHT but don't be ridiculous about it.  

DPMS Free Float Tube Wrench

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent... I'll order one. I really appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad to help.  I remember my own trials trying to get that thing off.  The people here helped me.  I'm just passing it along.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top