Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 6:02:27 PM EDT
What is the proper way of removing this rivet?

I have access to drill press/mill. I've heard that you drill through the head, somehow it twists off, and then you can pop the remainder of the rivet out with a punch.

Does anyone have a definitive procedure? I paid $40 for this set screw FSB and I don't want to screw it up removing a rivet.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated, as I plan to make a trip to the shop before work tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
A punch that will fit into the depression and gently tap it out.
I've found the roller bearing used as decapping pin is perfect.  Done right ant you can reuse the pin
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Which depression are you speaking of?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The one that is not the head of the rivet
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I've tried that, it's not budging.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used finish nails or a punch. It comes out quite easily.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:09:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I probably already screwed that side up with the punishment I dealt it yesterday. It seriously is not budging.

I will try drilling the other side today. Drills bits are cheap.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Hammer and punch always worked great for me once I finally gave it a hard enough smack.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Finally got it out. Drilled the head with a 1/8" bit till it sheared off, then punched the pin through with 3/32" punch. I did it with a hand drill, but this is really a job intended for a drill press. No damage to the FSB at all.

Straight up punch and hammer didn't work for me, maybe I was doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I broke two punches the last time I tried to remove one of those bastards. I wish they everyone would just quit installing them in the first place. Unless you're going to be marching in a parade, they're useless anyway.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#10]
1/8" drill bit in a drill. About 3 seconds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top