Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 10:26:19 AM EDT
I have a Bushmaster AR15 and have purchased a new pistol grip for it.  Can someone tell me where I can find a tool to reach the inside of the grip to unscrew it?  It looks like it might be a hex type screw but I'm not sure since it is inside the hollow grip.  Is it a special too or something I can pick up at my local sporting goods store?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You just need a 3/16 inch Allen wrench.  At first when I was removing mine, I had a tough time trying to get it out.  The problem is that you normally can't get enough torque on the stubby end of the wrench in order to twist the screw out.  In order to get more torque, you need a longer lever arm.

torque = Force x distance of lever arm

Obviously, you can't increase the force you are giving out, but you can increase the distance of the lever arm.

I know.  I'm a nerd.  And I love physics.

You can take out your bolt carrier and use that to extend the lever arm.  It works like magic.  Grab the bolt carrier, stick the wrench in the open side of the carrier, and twist it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out Harbor Freight and get one of their Inch hex sets. They have long shafts and a T handle. Cost maybe $5 for the entire set.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#3]
had the same problem, all my allen wrenches that fit were too short. I ended up trying all my flat-head screwdrivers and one fit just perfect so that it didn't strip or come loose while I unscrewed the grip.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
3/16 inch allen wrench with a long handle worked great!  Thanks for the help....it saved me a lot of time!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know why the hell they didn't use a regular screw like everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I just want to say that hex screw is a GIANT pain in the ass.  I had the same problem as everyone else.  If I ever find the guy who decided that would be a good idea, I will definitely be giving him a smack in the mouth!

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The socket screw head is the best option because of the WECSOGS..Aflat blade screw head strips easily because no one has a blade to fit it..get over it and buy the right tools..
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
of course you've never stripped a flat head screw when the driver slipped off it and then you couldn't get the screw out.  Nope, never happened to me either.  I would rather find a hex or even torx driver for something with threads than use a flat or phillips head tool.
Just my two cents.  Wanna smack me in the mouth?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#10]
So much love in every thread. How does someone innocently asking for help end up in people smacking other people in the mouth and insulting each others opinions and intelligence? Amazing. It's like we are in grade school again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So much love in every thread. How does someone innocently asking for help end up in people smacking other people in the mouth and insulting each others opinions and intelligence? Amazing. It's like we are in grade school again.

+1000

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#12]
The flatblade screw used  in original Colts and some other ARs is a PITA as well, b/c it requires such a large screwdriver.  Using the wrong size buggers up the slot, slips, and makes you say 'pshaw' and 'sassafrass'.  The buttstock screw also requires a big blade.
A good gunsmith's screwdriver set should have hollow ground bits big enough not to jump the slot, and the kits come with large handled drivers that give plenty of torque.  Or, you can grind a large regular screwdriver to make it fit.
The use of allen keys has been addressed, but another advantage with the allen socket screw is in starting the thread in the receiver.  While you are controlling the pistol grip, and the detent spring, it is sometimes difficult to get the screw started; lots easier with the screw captured on the allen key.  Since the screw does thread in to aluminum, it pays to avoid a crossthread and also not overtighten the grip screw.
Don't want to start another 'ruined a Cali legal lower' thread....
Moon
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Welcome to arf.com

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome to arf.com

+1

This place is truly weird.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top