Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 12:32:16 PM EDT
My RRA upper has a free float tube with an integrated barrel nut. How do you get the FF tube off?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If the tube is the barrel nut, you need a strap wrench and the proper upper receiver vice blocks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#2]
i take it you have one with hand guards ? ok thier FFT is in 3 pices, remove the hand guards, and the front sight tower , now you will see the free float tube, thier will be a "ring" behind the FFT, that ring takes a spanner wrench  that  unscrews, back it a way from the FFT, twards the reciever, now the FFT will unscrew from the barrel nut and then you can take the barrel nut off and the barrel. Some people use lock tight on them so you might have to use some heat to remove the parts, if you dont have a spanner wrench very carefully use  a small pipe wrench will work on the "ring"  just dont mess up the threads my email is  [email protected]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I think he's talking about this rifle but I'm not sure:

I haven't seen one in person, but from pictures I've seen I believe the only way to remove that free float tube is to take the gas tube out first.  You'll need to knock out the gas tube pin with a punch and slide it out from under the handguard.  Then you will be able to rotate the ff tube and get the barrel off.  A strap wrench and an action block will probably make this a lot easier.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, sorry about the confusion between their CMP tubes and their normal tubes. Iceshark, I think you're right. On closer inspection, it looks like the tube runs through the handguard sort of locking it into place. I just wasn't sure if there was some way around it or if I was missing something. Thanks for the help.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top