Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 8:36:14 AM EDT
I am getting ready to refinish a FAL and an Inglis Hi Power. Can anyone explain the pro/cons between DuraCoat, Molycoat, Molyresin and Guncoat? Is there one of those that is far superior than the others? Regarding the Inglis, I want a black finish that is close to what the Canadians used if poss. Thanks.

Ted
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am getting ready to refinish a FAL and an Inglis Hi Power. Can anyone explain the pro/cons between DuraCoat, Molycoat, Molyresin and Guncoat? Is there one of those that is far superior than the others? Regarding the Inglis, I want a black finish that is close to what the Canadians used if poss. Thanks.

Ted

Here is a link that describes the selection of equipment, and application of Norrells.  

Refinishing guide

I've often heard Norrells is the easiest to apply, and most forgiving of finishes.  There are a few people here who feel, after having used all 3, that the Norrells covers the better than GC, and is much more durable than DC.

The Moly Resin out of the spray cans from Brownells is usually considered the most lacking in durability and quality finish.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I just did a knife and gun in the past 2 days, my first attempts and I really did not screw up at all using KG GunKote. I actually even tried the limits by not blasting some parts, overheating some others and had  fumble with the knife which fell on the floor from the spray cabinet to the oven (sand dirt and such!). I am very happy with the application, colors seem OK but not exactly what I had thought.
If you are going to do anything made of plastic you have got to go with Duracoat due to the heat, I will be testing that out next since I want to do my entire M4 in a Desert Cammo.

Here are a couple of photos of what I did yesterday and today.

S&W Switchblade

Colt .45 Auto

Knife is Flat Earth with OD Green
Auto is Brushed Stainless with Flat Grey

Flat Earth is good...OD Green is actually Grey with a HINT of Green I had a hard time telling and I SPRAYED IT!  Brushed Stainless is well more like Silver and Flat Grey is close but more of a flat black. The photos are accurate in color but your milage will vary depending on your monitor.

Quite econimical for refinishing at home but it's going to really cost you testing all the products out there till' you find what you actually like! KG's the least expensive with the pint's that they sell but a pint is a LOT if you find the color is not what it sounds like in the catalog.

Cleanup is a breze with MEK or Denatured Alcohol and everyone at KG Industries are a pleasure to work with. I use and carry my knife with me all day so we will see how well it holds up.

Rich
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys.

Ted
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top