Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 7:53:08 PM EDT
Anybody use this in "real world" situations, not just on a comp or range gun?  How do you like it?  How durable is it?  Apologies if this has been addressed somewhere already & I'm too computer challenged to find it.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had mine since about 1993 and it's on my defensive rifle. I've used it on classes and range time.

The only drawback I have found is that it adds weight. There are people who don't like them, but that's why we have different options.

I used to tape mags together back in the Army in what they called a "jungle clip" method.

With practice, you can do really quick mag changes. I also have a buttstock mag carrier mounted so I have something like 90 rounds ready to go on the rifle. It's heavy, but I can grab it and not have to worry about a chest rig or web gear or extra mags in the middle of the night.

To each his own. I like them.

ETA: It is very durable and I was glad to have it when I repelled an attempted home invation several years back.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks rtech, appreciate the feedback.  Keep those cards & letters coming folks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:42:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#4]
The Virginia State Police issue them with their Colt carbines, and every trooper I've talked to seems to like them.  It's an acquired skill - learn it, train with it, and stick with it if you're going to go that way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
What I like most is the ability to keep a loaded spare mag on the rifle, ready to go for a stiuation where you need a fresh one now & how it keeps the top of the mag covered, top round protected.  I'm assuming there haven't been any durability issues or with  the redi-mag getting damaged w/o a mag in it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Have one on my M4 right now here in So. Baghdad, IRAQ.  Had on my Civi AR15 for almost 10 years and now have it on my weapon here.   I HIGHLY recommend it, though it takes a bit of practice to use, but once you got the reloads down, NOTHING is faster IMHO.

F.A.S. Out
(& Still in the Sandbox.)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Any chance of the first round moving forward in the mag?  

Had a couple of mags attached using the First Samco thingie and the first round would move forward.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#8]
And for civie use, ie if you're using your AR as a 'grab n' go' home security implement, nothing beats having an extra mag ON the gun.  

They also do an excellent job of keeping the elements out of your mags too.  Especially useful in snowy/icy weather when your mags are cumbersome to reach and you're inserting a saturated mag into your reciever.

I like em.  I have three AR's.  The one I keep in the house for security & for the unfortunate event of a 'bug out' has a Redi Mag.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Any chance of the first round moving forward in the mag?  

Had a couple of mags attached using the First Samco thingie and the first round would move forward.

Interesting observation:

I have a pair of mags in a mag-cinch on my newly-built M4gery.

If I use the 'right' magazine first, I have few problms with the top round of the left mag moving forward.

If I use the left mag first, the top round of the right mag will almost come completely out in 30 rounds.

So far, I think I can live with the problem, as I really like the idea of having 61 rounds available.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the info guys.  I've been using the mag cinch but like the idea behind redi-mag much better.  Are they only sold direct from Boonie Packer or are there deals out there?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I know Brownells has them...... dont know if its much cheaper than direct.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've got a friend in Iraq that has redi-mag envy - some of his partners have them and swear by them. He says they've held up well so far.  He says depending on their mission some guys don't wear their pouch rig all the time so the redi-mag meant they always had a spare at-hand. I was a little surprised they liked them honestly...

I've used them, and hate them.  I've watched guys train, and have issues with them.  That being said, I train with a guy who just got back from a year in Iraq leading teams, and he swears by his.

I think it how often you train with them, and figuring out what exactly you want your weapon to do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I agreee with Stick... I should make that a macro or something, it's getting common.

I work with and train with a guy who loves his, but it annoys me to no end.

It's probably our common military root, or something.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the info guys.  I've been using the mag cinch but like the idea behind redi-mag much better.  Are they only sold direct from Boonie Packer or are there deals out there?

I ordered mine from DPMS because I got free shipping. The prices were pretty much the same everywhere I looked, so the free shipping was the deciding factor.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:53:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Great feedback guys.  Really giving me something to think about.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:18:14 AM EDT
[#17]
One was on my RRA when I was shopping around for ARs and after it was demonstrated to me I told the guy to leave it on; cuz I was sold on the theory behind it.  I'm the only guy in my dept. that has one though.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top