Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 5:50:08 PM EDT
Today I removed my trusted Tasco Variable and installed a Bushnell Trophy 1X30 Red Dot with rings that can with the scope. To my surprize the RED DOT showed up halfway up the ramp of my front iron site. I made many test shots and came to the conclusion that I did not have the RED DOT mounted high enough to position the DOT over the front site pin. Is this my problem ?  Shots all over the paper.

Do I need to raise the RED DOT SCOPE so that I can see over the iron sites ? And, will this allow me to take advantage of front and rear sighting with the RED DOT on.

Or am I beating a dead horse?    
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, need more info. It this a cary handle mount? Is it tight to the handle? You can use a red dot with both eyes open? The dot will superimpose over the binocular eyesight and will be accurate. You also need to use a good cheek weld for perfect accuracy. Take a screwdriver make shure all screws are tight, and consider a flip up front sight if this is a flat top upper.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for not telling you what type AR.  YES, It is a flat top with a removal handle. The picture below is with my 3-9 X 40 TASCO.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to sportsmans guide and order the riser extention it will put you high enough. it is $20

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=148269
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
sounds to me like you need to adjust the elevation and then check your zero, again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
sounds to me like you need to adjust the elevation and then check your zero, again.

Having your red dot halfway down the front site base is not an elevation adjustment problem.  He needs to raise the site.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:44:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Most scope rings won't elevate the dot high enough. With magnified optics over 4x the front sight tower will not be visible. This is not the case with un-magnified red dot sights.

You need a riser to get it up high enough.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top