Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 12/23/2003 4:12:04 PM EDT
I'm considering buying a red dot scope for my AR15. I want to mount it on the handle, even though it is a flattop. Will this work ok?

What is an inexpensive, half-way decent red dot scope? Are any of them a magnifying type?

thanks for your help.
mcclaran
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:51:09 PM EDT
you want to mount it on top of a removable carry handle??
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:54:54 PM EDT
I have a millet red dot its paralax free like the aimpoint and around $130 to $160.Not as rugged as my aimpoint but half the price it was my second red dot.I also have a tasco propoint if you are looking for some thing inexpensive Im selling it for $70 shipped its camo and 2 years old not used hard at all it will just need to be sighted in as I had it on my .12ga 590..let me know my email is bigdavebigd@aol.com
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:20:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By McClaran: I'm considering buying a red dot scope for my AR15. I want to mount it on the handle, even though it is a flattop. Will this work ok?
View Quote
It can work - but be 'OK' that is debateable, and generally not. I recommend against it. Putting a red dot on top of the carry handle results in higher than needed trajectory.
What is an inexpensive, half-way decent red dot scope?
View Quote
OKO.
Are any of them a magnifying type?
View Quote
The only magnifying 'red dot' is the 2x Aimpoint and that is almost universally derided. The next choice would be a BAC equipped ACOG - which is a scope that works like a red-dot. I love my Compact ACOG but they are pricy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:13:42 PM EDT
thanks for everybody's input. i appreciate it. mcclaran
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:41:08 AM EDT
use a swan/weaver mount over the front handguard. this allows the site to be in same plane as open sites. base price aimpoint comes with one ring for mounting on flat-top, not handle, for around $300. i have an OK reflex site mounted forward over hand guard on short a2 and results are excellent.
Top Top