Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 8:17:00 AM EDT
My brother wants to move the scope forward on his RRA target rifle. Some type of forward offset mount maybe.

The eye relief is not adequate with the scope mounted over the receiver.

The scope has a one inch tube and a 44mm bell.

We are both very ingnorant about scope mounting options for AR's.

I have heard that Larue may make something like this. But I would guess that there are other options as well.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#1]
There are many ways to achieve your objectives.  A simple way, the way I used on my target upper, was to get an extended rail from ARMS.  Mine is their super extended model (ARMS model #36 S-EX).  Here's a link to show you the rail:

ARMS Rail

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
LaRue, ARMS, and for a cheap mount ProMag.

Here is a ARMS 36S-Ex:
www.csgunworks.com/product_images/2974.jpg

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Actually, that is not an S-EX.  That is the short rail.  There's a picture of an S-EX rail at the link I posted.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#4]
An Armalite one piece mount will move it about an inch forward.  A LaRue SPR will give you a little more than that, and the LaRue EER gives you about 3" or so...it's really made for longer eye relief scopes, but would most liekly work for you.  

An Arms 36EX will give you another 4" or so (don't quote me...you'll have to look at 'em, but I think it's around 4").

Yankee Hill makes a 5" and 7" rail extender/riser.  I just got the 5", and it works great...but I'd recommend the 7" in case you needed to space the mounts out more.  This is also by far the cheapest solution, since these things are only $35 a pop, .vs $200 for a LaRue.  Now, the Yankee Hill won't work for the high speed low drag crowd, but if you're just looking for a quick, affordable solution, and you don't intend to stand on the scope once you mount it on the rifle, it should work fine.  

I've seen some of the AMRS 36s going for dirt cheap in the EE lately...you might want to cruise there for a couple of days and see what you come up with.  For example, I saw a 36S EX for $65 last week.  I was looking for a EX, or I would have snagged it.  

Don't forget an ARMS 38 EX or S EX...they have the rear BUIS built in, if you're intrested in that.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Whofan,

I am with the others on the Arms extended rail.  The primary advantage that the extended rail has besides the forward mounting, is the ability to use more of the conventional scope rings, as the rail will elevate your platform by roughly 1/2 inch.  This will get you into the market of many of the standard height rings from the major players.  This can eventually save you a lot of money if you want to play with the scope height, as this can drive you batty trying to get the correct combination of height for aiming, and height for bell clearance.  If you go with the type of ring that moves things forward and is the flattop ring, you will have much more limitations on which to use, and these will end up being pretty pricey (for a target rifle).

Craig
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's the VA Po'Boy® option...a Yankee Hill riser/extender.  $35, and they come in 5" or 7" lengths.  Here's the 5" with a Simmons 8 Point 1.5x5 scope.  As you can see, I can put it wherever I need it on the flat top.  

In no way is that gonna be as robust as a LaRue...but it is a lot more affordable, if money is tight.  What I plan on doing for this rifle is get a different set of rings and leave the scope permanently attached to the riser.  I have a Holosight for this rifle as well, and with the thumbsrews on the YHM riser/extender (and a quarter ) I can swap back and forth between the two options.  

At some point, I'll ditch this scope for Vari X 1 1.5x4, but this is what I have laying around to play with.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Try this one it not too expensive and works good for just plinking.  I use it on my 3-gun rifle and it is all one piece.www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=105295
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top