Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2003 7:33:05 PM EDT
I'd like to get some recommendations for a weapon light.  It would be used for civilian duty, around the farm, and reasonably priced.

Thanks!

Michael
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
For what weapon?

What type of mounting system?

I like Surefire products myself.

M-500 or the M-900 are both great.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#2]
To be mounted on an AR-15.  I don't have a preferred mount, I'm open for advice.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Suggest you read this forum.......[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=20[/url]

The M-500 from Surefire replaces your handguards and incorporates a light. [url]http://www.san.surefire.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/265/sesent/0,0[/url]

The M-900 needs a rail (picatinny) to be mounted on, but it incorporates a front vertical grip. A nice option for CQB. [url]http://www.san.surefire.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/266/sesent/0,0[/url]

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Been to the light and laser forum, but I didn't see any recommendations/comparisons (like the ones in the optic forums!!)
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Look into ANYTHING from Surefire... avoid ANYTHING else. Seriously, Surefire has literally dozens of options to choose from, each one as good as the next. Some with more power and/or options than others, but all are excellent weapon lights. Tell us a little about the AR15 you will be putting it on and we might be anle to better steer you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Go Surefire all the way.  I used to think that a light was just a light until I tried a Surefire one day just to see what the hooplah was about.  Any surefire light will be head and shoulders above any other type of flashlight as far as brightness, clarity, and quality goes.  They're expensive, but you do pay for the quality and dependability of them.

If price is a top issue when purchasing the light, then go with a TACM III.  It will do an alright job, not fantastic, but acceptable.  However, the performance will be extremely lacking compared to the Surefire (not as bright and not as pure of a beam) and I don't think the TACM can take as much punishemnt as the Surefire, so avoid extreme use.  I'm not saying the TACM can't take some abuse, but it will most definitely fail before the Surefire.  If you can afford it, Surefire will be well worth the money.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 3:44:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I also recommend Surefire.The M500 and M900 are excellent weapon lights but can be a bit expensive.A lower cost alternative would be getting one of the Weaver rails that mount to your handguard if you don't have an RAS/RIS/SIR already and attach a Surefire G2 Nitrolon flashlight($29.95) via a 1" weaver scope ring.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#8]
mrstang01,
Surefire, for sure.

The type of use would dictate the model.  A P3 taped to the handguard passes for some but the M500 and M900 series are probably the slickest.

The M500 would be mt choice for "around the farm".  It doesn't have many protrusions to snag on brush or look too tactical for the neighbors.  It is also less money than the M900 series.  The M900s do have handy little LED navigation lights which work nicely.

Mario
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The rifle is a bare bones xm-177 forgery, my first build.  My intent is to keep this as light as possible.

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming, this is good stuff.

Michael
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a streamlight M3 mounted on my M4.  Not sure how well it will work with many rounds down the tube.  Then again it attaches quick and comes off quick.  I have no intention of using it on the rifle at the range during daylight.  It is basically on the rifle at night time to give me an extra option.  It would not be my first choice, but given financial constraints it was my best choice.

Purchased it off of a board member for $80 shipped with a shotgun extended mag tube mount.  I then purchased the handguard mount from C4igrant for $18 shipped.  It is also the Glock model, so I can move the light from my pistol to my carbine to my shotgun.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14272[/img]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#11]
The major factor in your choice will be the compromise between weight and range.  If you are planning on using it a mostly close range, you won't need one of the heavier turbohead lights.

From what you describe, the simplest solution would be a Surefire 6p with a z32 "shock-isolated bezel", mounted without a tapeswitch on something like the GG&G Down-and-Dirty mount:
http://www.gggaz.com/products/dandd.php

The next step up would be a 2-cell dedicated weaponlight, like the 674 (front-sight mount) or 660 (barrel-mount).  It's basically the 6P with a shock-isolated bezel (a must-have) and a tape switch.

Finally, you would step up to the M500 weaponlight.

If you were willing to mount rails, you could explore the M950 series and the M900 with foregrip.

The important thing is to get a purpose-designed weaponlight.  Don't take a stock Surefire handheld and mount it.  You won't save money or aggrivation.  I've put the shock-isolated bezels on all my hand-held lights.  I'd never leave it off the weapon mounted ones.

I would also recommend you invest in a matching hand-held light (like the G2).  That way, you can rotate out the not-so fresh batteries, keep the newest ones in the weaponlight, and also not be tempted to use the weaponlight for non-shooting tasks.  It's much easier to leave the rifle slung and search with a hand-held light than to keep the rifle mounted. :)
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok, great posts so far, and thanks guys.  Now, recommendations on who to purchase from please?

Thanks,

Michael
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I have dealt happily with Meridian Tactical, Texas Tactical Supply, and others.  Sableco.net and Arizona Gun Runners I have heard nice things from.  Strategos (strategosstore.com) has one of the best-illustrated websites for SF products.

If I may suggest, don't shop for cheapest price.  I've gotten burned many times by that strategy.  Look at Surefire's "List" price.  Everyone should be below that. Then call and talk to the various dealers about the product you want.  Buy from the person who is the most knowledgeable and helpful.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#14]
http://www.mstn.biz/

One of the best companies I have ever done business with. I don't even look anywhere else.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://www.mstn.biz/

One of the best companies I have ever done business with. I don't even look anywhere else.
View Quote

I'd have to second that!!! Wes is great to deal with. Also Chris at Eagle Firearms. Both will give you outstanding prices, and will take the time to get you into the best for your situation.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top