Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 10:29:31 AM EDT
Well, I aquired an optic. It ended up being a TA31F so for those who spoke against a TAA55- you won.

Now I am about to start thinking about an upper and barrel.

I am trying to decide between chrome lined and chrome moly. Which did the Recce specs call for?

In a FF tube- I am looking at Troy's and DD. I am staying away from YHM to prevent "rotational accidents". I am open to other FF rail systems so make some suggestions.

It would be nice if someone with inside information could list the complete specs.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The term "RECCE" has become so blurred, I doubt you will find one, single spec that defines RECCE.  It is, essentially a precision carbine with a railed FF system.  Probably a stainless match barrel.  Usually it means a long FF tube over a low profile gas block.  I also heard all early RECCEs used the KAC MRE FF system, but that's just something I heard.

Go here for a start.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of the stuff in that thread seems like untrue.

My understanding was that the Reece was a 16" carbine with a fixed front sight post (no low profile).

I also understood that the point was to be able to easily convert already had M4s in the inventory- simply adding a FF rail.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Some of the stuff in that thread seems like untrue.

My understanding was that the Reece was a 16" carbine with a fixed front sight post (no low profile).

I also understood that the point was to be able to easily convert already had M4s in the inventory- simply adding a FF rail.

Thus the KAC MRE.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#4]
use what works

chrome lined, chrome moly, ss all depends on how hard you want to work after shooting
most/all barrels will outshoot the shooter

as for the ff i went with larue
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
use what works

chrome lined, chrome moly, ss all depends on how hard you want to work after shooting
most/all barrels will outshoot the shooter

as for the ff i went with larue

Good point.

I guess longevity/ ability to hold groups for a longer period of time is a primary concern (along with easier cleaning, corrosion resistance).

I have had decent success with chrome lined barrels but, I don't want to be limited by the rifle.

After reading some more, I think a two stage trigger is a good idea- anyone have any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
trust me the barrel isnt gonna limit you, youre gonna limit the barrel.
as for the trigger i have and use the chipmccormick two stage curved and it has function flawlessly and feels great.

have a few k's through one of them without a hiccup
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like my Daniel Defense rail, but will readily admit the LaRue wasn't on the scene when I chose mine and would have been a good choice as well. To complicate things,  since that time the continuous rails have become popular.

If I were to do it over, I would go with a Troy MRF-C, or MRF-X, or MRF-R depending on barrel/ length/gas system. (or comparable Samson)

or if it were available.......the KAC URX

See "the reviews" ------------>HERE
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
trust me the barrel isnt gonna limit you, youre gonna limit the barrel.
as for the trigger i have and use the chipmccormick two stage curved and it has function flawlessly and feels great.

have a few k's through one of them without a hiccup

That sounds like a challenge

I have never owned an AR that could out shoot me- to include the varmint rigs. The deciding factor has always been an upgrade in equipment. When I first started shooting competively, gear didn't make much difference. I like to think I am past that
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I really like my Daniel Defense rail, but will readily admit the LaRue wasn't on the scene when I chose mine and would have been a good choice as well. To complicate things,  since that time the continuous rails have become popular.

If I were to do it over, I would go with a Troy MRF-C, or MRF-X, or MRF-R depending on barrel/ length/gas system. (or comparable Samson)

or if it were available.......the KAC URX

See "the reviews" ------------>HERE

Thanks Redfisher- excellent link I will have to keep an open mind on some of the others mentioned in the review.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with Mongo that the "RECCE" term has been overused to the point that it no longer means much specific.

WIKIPEDIA has some interesting information on the SEAL recon (AKA RECCE) carbines, which may or may not be factual.

Regardless, I think the RECCE concept is one of the more useful of the precision upper concepts given the limitations of the 5.56mm cartridge.  Why not have a portable, reliable carbine that is capable of the occasional longer shot?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top