Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:52:35 AM EDT
I figured I better check this here.....

I just field stripped it for the first time to clean it.  I went to put the bolt back together and I had to think....which way does the extractor face before I put the bolt cam pin back in?

The extractor (once its put back togther) does face out towards the ejection port right?? I figured it had to. Stupid noob question but cant ever be too careful! I see the bolt assembly rotates in the carrier. I didnt even know if it was possible to assmble it "backwards". Just checking myself. Sorry if this is a stupid question but never had the benefit of being shown first hand.

I reassbled everything and it seems to be functioning fine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#1]
On mine, there is a little bit of a lip on the cam pin hole that prevents installation backwards.  I assume it is the same for most all ar15 bolts.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:19:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok...well the cam pin went in fine so guess I did it right. The ejector does face out then.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:54:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Bolt should only be able to be installed one way, with the extractor facing the ejection side.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bolt should only be able to be installed one way, with the extractor facing the ejection side.

I have seen some AR bolts that could be inserted backwards. Normally, where the cam pin inserts the bolt, one side is peened in a bit to prevent the cam pin from being inserted and thus put in backwards.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#5]
well just wanted to make sure I did it right. Thank you!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#6]
thats why i said should instead of shall.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top