Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2004 8:55:39 PM EDT
I have heard they are help together by a couple pins? Does this require any special tools? My parents agreed to buy me an A2 upper from riverrocarms.com and I am going to buy a lower from them in the future. I just want to make sure it is actually as easy to assemble as everyone says.

Complete upper from riverrockarms.com and a complete lower is all I need correct? Besides magazines of course.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome. Thanks for the fast reply. I knew it was a super easy dumb question. Just never had an AR to mess with. Only my MAK.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]

If only there were more parents in the world buying ARs for kids and teaching them to use them responsibly, the world would be a better place.  By the way, I think you mean rockriverarms.com.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah my bad. I have grown up around guns all my life. I am 20 now but I have had guns since I could remember. I just got into "assault" weapons about a year ago. I got my MAK90 for christmas last year. Looking to get something a little more modern now. Plus I have a CAR 4 position stock on my MAK It made me want an ar15. Plus me and a few buddies are going to start varmit hunting and I would rather use an ar15 than a mak90.

I was going to get a nitrous system for my camaro...but once again firearms have spoiled that. I wanted to run 12's!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
very

eaier than shooting
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Will either the upper or the lower have the pins in it already? Or do I need to order a set?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]

The pins are captive in the lower receiver on the ones I've seen, although I'm sure there must be some variant that isn't that way just to prove me wrong.  Even if you are all grown up already, it's still cool that your parents are buying you an ar upper
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#8]
You just push these 2 pins out with your thumbs. Very easy.

Credit goes to FALARAK for the pics.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Will either the upper or the lower have the pins in it already? Or do I need to order a set?

The pins are part of the lower.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Nah I'm not grown up. I am still a little kid in to many ways. I'm like a little kid but with grown up problems....such as debt lol. It is cool that they will actually buy me stuff like that. I have been wanting an AR15 for awhile but I can't afford to buy a complete gun. This way I will only have about 275 or so invested in the gun. Much easier for a student with a part time job to come up with that instead of 800$. Its funny because I probably have over 10k invested in my damn car...but I have no idea where the money came from lol.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#11]
The first few times the upper and lower maybe fit very very tight.  The pins maybe hard to push in and out (they don't come all the way out).  

Use some BREAK-FREE (CLP) and work them.  Take it out and shoot it.  That should wear the upper, lower and pins in.  

If you get a Rock River Arms lower, it maybe alottle tighter.  You may not think it'll go together but it will fit together.  Rock River Arms lowers are very tight at first.  

You'll need the lower, upper, mags, ammo (lotsa ammo) and a good cleaning kit for a .223/5.56.  

Have lotsa lotsa fun shooting your new rifle.  

Colt_SBR  

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:56:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Colt_SBR is right about the Rock River Arms lowers. I had to use a rubber mallet and whack the upper into position the first few times I attached the two. After seperating them and re-attaching them over the past few weeks (I'm doing the same thing you're doing, one part at a time ) it got to the point where I don't have to use anything to put them together, just push the pieces together and push in the pins.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Do they just sit right ontop of each other or do you have to put them on an an angle or something? I'm sure if I had the upper and lower in my hand I could do it easily. But I have never actually even shot an AR...most I have done is checked a few out at the local shops. But I want one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#14]
assemble the upper to the lower using and setting the forward pin first.  Snap it into place and then pivot the upper down onto the lower and snap the rear pin in.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I think we may have missed one important component, the bolt and carrier.  When you buy an upper, you will want to also get a bolt and carrier.  They are not automatically included.  Then the only component you will still need will be the completed lower.  Although the various AK models are interesting to shoot, you will build skills faster with the AR.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I think we may have missed one important component, the bolt and carrier.  When you buy an upper, you will want to also get a bolt and carrier.  They are not automatically included.  Then the only component you will still need will be the completed lower.  Although the various AK models are interesting to shoot, you will build skills faster with the AR.

Good luck.

Rock River Arms uppers include the bolt/carrier group.  You should be OK as long as you get a complete upper from them.  

Another little trick to putting the lower onto the lower is, push the front pin in first then hold the lower, muzzle down.  the firing pin sometimes slides backwards and hits the hammer.  The firing pin stops the lower from going all the way together if it's back.  

I would suggest, go to a gun shop and ask an AR-15 knowledgeable worker to show you an AR-15.  Ask him alot of questions about it.  

Remember, no question is stupid.  The more you know about a firearm the safer you are.  We all weren't born with AR-15's in our hands.  We've all made the same mistakes and asked the same questions you are.  

Read all the manuals you can.  AR15.com has alot of good reading material.  Check out the section at the beginning of the website.  www.ar15.com/content/  

Colt_SBR  

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#17]
There is noone around here that is AR15 knowlegable. None. It is pitiful. I am just going to buy it and figure it out if I have to.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#18]
The big brown van dropped of a RRA 20" varmint complete upper Friday (10/22). Ordered it 9/29 from RRA, so the wait wasn't as long as they say. I already had a comlete lower a local FFL ordered for me. The fit could not have been better and the finish matched exactly too. Took about five seconds to put them together. Shoots like a dream. I have a Bushmaster varminter and it's hard to pick a favorite.

Good Luck with your AR.
RRA is good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't decide if I want a A2 upper or an A4 with a detachable front sight. The a4 sounds nice because I could use a normal scope. I want this gun to be pretty accurate for plinking and for shooting coyote and groundhogs and whatever other varmits I get a shot at.

But with that setup the cool factor definetly goes down. I was wondering how comfortable it would be to shoot with an A2 upper and one of those tapco 168 handle mounted scopes...choices choices.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top