Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 3:01:16 PM EDT
Hi Folks, I just built an A2 upper, supposedly with all Colt parts. Now, my problem is that there are some markings I had never seen before. There is a diamond marking on the left side of the FSB and there is no date code on the barrel although it is marked C MP. Is this real Colt? Can somebody give me some info on this barrel? Here are some pics:

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The markings on your barrel looks like it's a real Colt, for more info check out the link.

www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, real colt.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]
the barrel is surely Colt.......what markings are on the other side of the FSB?

an "F" anywhere?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry I got confused.No there is no triangle. and the markings are on the right side, not the left. It is that square that you see in the picture of the FSB. No there is no F marking on the left. Any ideas?

Please see the tilted square on the rear edge of the FSB next to the handguards. Also, any significance to the lack of date on the barel?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

an "F" anywhere?

Maybe a dumb question, but since that is an A2 upper, why would the FSB need to be F marked?

EDIT : Yes, it was a dumb question....    (truly an A2....)
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Your barrel is genuine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

an "F" anywhere?

Maybe a dumb question, but since that is an A2 upper, why would the FSB need to be F marked?

EDIT : Yes, it was a dumb question....    (truly an A2....)

I don't think it is a dumb question. Since this is a parts upper, and not factory god only knows where the parts came from.

The barrel came from another arfcom user, and I thought it was real but I am puzzled but the diamond marking on the FSB. The upper came from gunbroker and I had a local smioth build it here in Richmond. It is properly headspaced and test fired. Anotehr lower is on the way for it as this is the lower for my 6920.

Now that it is established that the barrel is real, any information on the marking or on why there is no date code on th front of the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i23.photobucket.com/albums/b379/xcibes/AR15A2-02.jpg

Can I use that picture for the guide?:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=241681

With credit to you of course.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Now that it is established that the barrel is real, any information on the marking or on why there is no date code on th front of the barrel?

I have a Colt M16A2 upper and my date code is behind the FSB, you have to remove your upper handguard to see it, it's close to the gas tube.

From the threads discussed here before some Colt barrels have date codes and some don't.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, but I'm confused. Why all this concern about the FSB markings, but nothing about the upper receiver? If you want to have an "all Colt" upper, isn't the upper receiver more important than the FSB?? Maybe I'm missing something here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feel free to use the pic on the guide. I just re-checked my barrel, there are absolutely no markings of any kind under the handguard, I guess it must be an old barrel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feel free to use the pic on the guide. I just re-checked my barrel, there are absolutely no markings of any kind under the handguard, I guess it must be an old barrel.

Great, will get it in there.  And yes, older barrel, earliest know barrel date is 2/95, and Colt's M16A2 contract ran out in 1988.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sorry, but I'm confused. Why all this concern about the FSB markings, but nothing about the upper receiver? If you want to have an "all Colt" upper, isn't the upper receiver more important than the FSB?? Maybe I'm missing something here.

I was just curious about it because I had never seen one like it. I kind of like to know what I have, that is all. The upper is 100% Colt, I have no doubts about that at all, only about the FSB.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Guide is updated, barrel markings are covered, should find your answer there.

And thanks for use of the pic.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]
The upper before the rear sight assembly should say CM
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a Colt M16A2 upper and my date code is behind the FSB, you have to remove your upper handguard to see it, it's close to the gas tube.

From the threads discussed here before some Colt barrels have date codes and some don't.

It won't have a date code if it was made before 1995.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:17:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It won't have a date code if it was made before 1995.

Agreed, and earliest observed at this point is 02/95.  I would also think that there would be a transition period, were older barrels were used well into 1995 that lacked date codes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I would be interested in hearing about this date code on a M16A2 barrel.  What is the date?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Photo borrowed from Ekie's Colt's USGI M16 Series Variation Guide Edition III thread

Photo originally posted by Ekie, my FSB looks like this.

Here's what my barrel exactly looks like, stamped number 28, I'm not sure if it's a date code or a lot code any ideas?

My upper is forge marked C M.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would be interested in hearing about this date code on a M16A2 barrel.  What is the date?

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought a Colt A2 transition upper on the EE in Fall '05.  Pretty much brand new condition.  It has no bayonet lug but has the A2 flash suppressor.  I haven't even looked at it in a while, and I never look in great detail; I'll have to check sometime to see if it has a date code.  I can't remember.  All I know is that it has the proper markings forward of the FSB and on the upper.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/variation%20guide/barrellot.jpg
Photo borrowed from Ekie's Colt's USGI M16 Series Variation Guide Edition III thread

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/variation%20guide/FSBA2.jpg

Here's what my barrel exactly looks like, stamped number 28, I'm not sure if it's a date code or a lot code any ideas?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not a date code.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/variation%20guide/barrellot.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/variation%20guide/FSBA2.jpg

There were a bunch of those on the market awhile back.  The one in the pictures I got from CDNN.  My guess at this point is that they were from M16A2 conversion kits.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top