Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 4:38:05 PM EDT
I built these rifles three/four years ago before everyone got on the A1 bandwagon. Problem was, I didnt really do it right.
The ban was still on so they were built neutered and I didnt refinish the uppers to match the lowers. Also, the first barrel I aquired off the EE was shit and I got ripped off. The guy sold it as a complete barrel but it was a total franken barrel and the front sight base was even loose. I bought it long before I assembled the rifles so by the time I noticed I couldnt remember who sold it to me. I couldnt sight in the rifle or re-tighten the sight base no matter how much I pounded the taper pins.
Well, in my parts aquiring phase of the build, I had aquired a spare M16 takeoff barrel and today I decided it was "gunsmithing day" since it was too windy to work and I had access to the hangar to work in. I also needed to remove the barrel from my LEGP#1 to send it off for "evilfication."

I digress. I'm just here to post pics of the original two builds that I dissassembled, refinished the uppers and replaced the barrel on one.
The uppers still look a little light in color because they have no oil on them, as the lowers do. I used header paint on the uppers and I wanted to leave them in my car for a few days to cure the paint. It gets very hot inside my car here in Florida.
Here's the rifles:

On the left is my A1 clone, on the right is my AF AR15 clone.

Right side view of the uppers:

Left side view:

FSB and FS view:

Notwithstanding the lowers, what can make these rifles more true to the originals?

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I like'em.

How well do they shoot?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I like'em.

How well do they shoot?

WIZZO

Honestly? They both shoot great!

The one on the right is my dedicated .22 rifle with an M261 kit. The 1 in 12 barrel shoots Dynapoints very well and plinkin' is a blast with it.
]
Interesting point:
The gas tube in the M261 AR with 1500+ rounds of .22LR seemed less blocked up than my RRA M4 gas tube with 6,000+ rounds of 5.56.
I admit to abusing the RRA M4 though, with lots of mag dumps and trying to bumpfire. The gas tube was golden brown.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top