Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2016 4:59:15 PM EDT
GECO 223 Remington 55 Grain FMJ Target

This is not your father’s 55 grain FMJ ammunition.  For starters, the 55 grain FMJ projectile loaded in this ammunition has a groove cannelure, instead of a rolled cannelure that is typically found on 55 grain FMJ bullets.  Secondly, the boat-tail on the GECO bullet is longer than that found on typical 55 grain FMJ bullets.

Thirdly, the GECO bullets have some of the most uniform bases I’ve ever seen on bullets in this category.

This ammunition is loaded in brass cases that have the annealing iris still visible.  The cases have sealed primer pockets.  The primer pockets are crimped with three “stab” crimps.  The head-stamp reads: “ GECO  .223  Rem. ”.  The case-mouths are also crimped and sealed.  The ammunition is charged with a short-cut extruded powder.

(The individual squares in the red grid pictured below are one-tenth of an inch.)

Velocity

I chronographed the GECO 223 Remington 55 grain FMJ Target  ammunition from a semi-automatic AR-15 with a chrome-lined, NATO chambered, 20” Colt M16A2 barrel.

Chronographing was conducted using an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen” technology. The Oehler 35P chronograph is actually two chronographs in one package that takes two separate chronograph readings for each shot and then has its onboard computer analyze the data to determine if there is any statistically significant difference between the two readings.  If there is a difference, the chronograph “flags” the shot to let you know that the data is invalid.  There was no invalid data flagged during this testing.

The velocity stated below is the muzzle velocity as calculated from the instrumental velocity using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software program. The string of fire consisted of 10 rounds over the chronograph.

Each round was single-loaded and cycled into the chamber from a magazine fitted with a single-load follower. The bolt locked-back after each shot allowing the chamber to cool in between each shot. This technique was used to mitigate the possible influence of “chamber-soak” on velocity data. Each new shot was fired in a consistent manner after hitting the bolt release.  Atmospheric conditions were monitored and recorded using a Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker.

Atmospheric conditions

Temperature:  78 degrees F
Humidity:  33%
Barometric pressure:  30.05 inches of Hg
Elevation:  950 feet above sea level

The muzzle velocity for the 10-shot string of the GECO 223 Remington 55 grain FMJ Target ammunition fired from the 20” Colt barrel was 3084 FPS with a standard deviation of 26 FPS and a coefficient of variation of 0.84%.  

Accuracy

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the GECO 223 Remington 55 grain FMJ Target ammunition following my usual protocol. This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group-reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, butterfly shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Also, a control group was fired from the test-rifle used in the evaluation using match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition; in order to demonstrate the capability of the barrel. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VAR-X III set at a magnification of 25X and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shield was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

The Wind Probe.

The test vehicle for this evaluation was one of my semi-automatic precision AR-15s with a 20” stainless-steel Lothar Walther barrel.  The barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:8” twist.

Prior to firing the GECO 223 Remington 55 grain FMJ Target ammunition, I fired a 10-shot control group using a hand-load topped with the Sierra 77 grain MatchKing.  That group had an extreme spread of 0.81”.

Three 10-shot groups of the GECO 223 Remington 55 grain FMJ Target ammunition were fired in a row with the resulting extreme spreads:

1.71”
1.06”
1.52”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 1.43”. The three 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.47”.

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

The 30-shot composite group . . .

Lastly, for the Internet Commandos in our viewing audience, here’s a pic of a sub-half-MOA group of the GECO ammunition fired from 100 yards.  The group has an extreme spread of 0.47”.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I literally just did a "Molon style" review of this SAME ammo. You must have posted as I was typing!

Thanks for the report and pretty damn close to my results. I'mma chalk this one up as "great minds think alike, and apparently decide to test the same ammo on the same day".
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
That's some extremely good accuracy from 32 cpr ammo!
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't suppose you got a good BC reading out of your oehler? The BC is not listed anywhere on the package or Geco's website. I'm considering running it for 300 yards and under for upcoming matches. I've shot this load at 300 and 500 yards on several occasions. It maintains good accuracy at 300 yards and can consistently nail a 6" target (smallest I have) even under rapid fire. At 500 yards, it suffers in the wind and is running out of juice.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't suppose you got a good BC reading out of your oehler? The BC is not listed anywhere on the package or Geco's website. I'm considering running it for 300 yards and under for upcoming matches. I've shot this load at 300 and 500 yards on several occasions. It maintains good accuracy at 300 yards and can consistently nail a 6" target (smallest I have) even under rapid fire. At 500 yards, it suffers in the wind and is running out of juice.
View Quote

GECO claims a BC of .275.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the range report both of you.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like the Geco ammo, bought several thousand last year and my 700 BDL loves it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Excellent.

It would be nice if the other manufacturers would see this, and step up their accuracy !

View Quote

It would be really nice if GECO would release the bullet as a reloading component.

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]
good to hear, I bought a thousand a few weeks ago and have not shot any of it yet.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Great shooting and review,
Now please do one on the ADI 69 SMK...I think you will be surprised with it as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the test.

That's pretty impressive. The projectile is interesting. I'd love to see a gel test from one or more of our resident gel shooters.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Now please do one on the ADI 69 SMK...

View Quote

And The List just keeps getting' longer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I ordered some of this stuff to try out. Seems to be a good deal and I've read the brass is high quality.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And The List just keeps getting' longer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now please do one on the ADI 69 SMK...

That would be great even though I know it will cause all the ADI 69 SMK to get scarce. Just like your reviews on this Geco and the ADI 55 Blitz King have opened the eyes of a lot of shooters on some great priced (and) accurate ammo.
Will be great seeing your professional opinion and stats on it.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Good info.  I picked up a case of this stuff last month but have yet to shoot any of it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the post.  Not surprised by the exceptional accuracy - based on reputation.  For paper shooting, I would shoot this ammo with confidence at a high power match to 200 yards all day.  

But I am surprised velocity is clocking so low.  Spec is 3250 fps for M193 in a 20".  3088 fps, makes for quite an energy deficit compared to M193 expectations.  For bulk inventory defense, etc - I'm not sure I'd use this.  But for target shooting, this stuff looks awesome.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the post.  Not surprised by the exceptional accuracy - based on reputation.  For paper shooting, I would shoot this ammo with confidence at a high power match to 200 yards all day.  

But I am surprised velocity is clocking so low.  Spec is 3250 fps for M193 in a 20".  3088 fps, makes for quite an energy deficit compared to M193 expectations.  For bulk inventory defense, etc - I'm not sure I'd use this.  But for target shooting, this stuff looks awesome.

View Quote

Great ammo to bang away at a training class with, won't hammer the gun as much but still surefire etc....
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

this was never advertised as a M193 type load.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But I am surprised velocity is clocking so low.  Spec is 3250 fps for M193 in a 20".  3088 fps, makes for quite an energy deficit compared to M193 expectations.  

View Quote

This is not a 5.56mm load.  It's a 223 Remington load.

I'll be posting a review of the GECO 5.56mm load in the near future.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks Molon,  As always a great review . I always look for the dog picture .
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#23]
The Swiss typically produce quality goods.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you Molon for this review. I recently tried this ammo and was very pleased as I attempt to become more comfortable with optics and a new Colt. I will also be trying the RUAG ammo which is available locally. That you share your expertise is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I received my 500 rounds today and this is some nice stuff. Very high quality.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks Molon,  As always a great review . I always look for the dog picture .

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Where was this ammunition manufactured according to the box? GECO was a German company that was bought by a Swiss consortium, RUAG. They sell "GECO" branded ammunition that is made in multiple countries.

I think many people think GECO means "Swiss made" when in all likelihood it is not. I'd hazard a guess that this ammunition was made in Germany.

Nonetheless it seems like great ammunition.

1DD
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#28]
All of the Geco 223 that I have bought is Swiss made.  Geco 9mm can be Swiss, German, or Hungarian.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks all! Especially Molon!

Just ordered 1000 rds from SGAmmo.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks all! Especially Molon!

View Quote

Da nada.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#31]
1000 inbound from sgammo. Will see what rifle likes it the best.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#32]
By the way ...

The Thermold 10 round stripper clip guide works for Geco 223/556 on plastic stripper clips:

It's available from several vendors (e.g., Buds, Impact Guns):

https://www.amazon.com/Thermold-Round-M16-AR15-Loader/dp/B002Q6EOUS

I couldn't get my own photo to upload on photobucket, but that looks like the one I have.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

LAXammo also has a fair bit of the stuff; awaiting my shipment to try out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Something important to note. I've been shooting the .223 geco for years and its great.The brass is good quality, it is however not the best for reloading as it has very low case capacity.

It is very easy to overload pressure wise. The primer pockets are also on the loose side. It may do for low velocity accurate loads but not m193 or other typical loads.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Average case capacities in grain of H2O

GECO 223 Remington:  29.75

GECO 5.56x45mm:  29.60

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top