Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 7:55:58 PM EDT
Made it to the range today to test fire and sight-in my new toy.  

Conditions: 38 degrees F partly sunny

Specs:
New Bushmaster 16" M4 upper purchased from the EE for $450.
New Bushmaster Lower purchased from EE for $229 + $25 transfer
Troy rear sight purchased form EE for $130
Vltor Stock from retailer for $152
=$986

Ammo Federal XM193 2001

Notes:
This thing is way lighter than my Heavy Barrel Bushmaster 14" AK. The upper was part of a factory rifle, separated from the lower and sold on the EE. I tried to test fire it a few weeks ago with my Bushmaster Varminter Lower and it would fire only one round and then have a light hammer drop and not fire the second round. Not sure what the problem was, but think it may have something to do with the two stage trigger. Today was a test to see if it work on the new lower I got. The lower was also purchased new from the EE. I got it complete for $229 with an A2 stock. The lower was also a factory rifle and separated from the upper and then sold on the EE. The bolt holding the stock onto the buffer tube was messed up before I got it. Someone had tried to remove it and couldn't. I put the lower into a vise block and using gunsmith  screwdrivers tried to get it out. Then tried a ratchet and pipe. Then tried a punch and hammer. I eventually drilled the damn bolt off.  

Shooting:
First 5 shot group from 25 yards. Only problem was that I was aiming at the center M. So it was high and way left. The high is not such a big deal since it was only 25 meters but hte way left was not good. I cleaned the barrel with a bore snake after the first shots and then periodically.

I adjusted the sights and got it shooting straight but this is was the rear looked like when adjusted.

So what is the deal with this Troy sight?

I shot 290 rounds with no problems so proof of reliability of the upper and lower match is well on its way. Not sure why the upper wouldn't work with the Varminter lower.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
No deal with the Troy sight its just the imfamos Bushmaster canted front sight base.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No deal with the Troy sight its just the imfamos Bushmaster canted front sight base.

Yea, and even so, the barrel is still within spec.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
can you link me to some more information please??
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

So what is the deal with this Troy sight?

It isn't a big deal at all... I own a COLT that looks exactly the same... If your looking for that perfectly centered apeture, you could adjust the FSB with a mallet...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:15:16 AM EDT
[#5]
EVERY M16 or M4 I've zeroed has looked like that. Colt or FN.  I might just have wierd eyes or something.  Do you use any other iron sighted rifles, particularly AR's, and if so what are their sights like?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice setup..

My Bushy M4 was not within spec..the FSB was canted so bad that I ran outa right windage...

Call Bushmaster and in so many words they said "Sorry, we will not do anything about it."

I had to get a Folding FSB to fix it...so I figured that if I'm going to throw money at it, I'm going to buy what I want...

I got a PRI FSB...I already had one on a SPRish rifle I built and I love it.

My Bushy was screwed-up at the factory and they let me down. First and last Bushmaster I ever own..in fact..it maybe going to a gun show this weekend to be sold..
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nice setup..

My Bushy M4 was not within spec..the FSB was canted so bad that I ran outa right windage...

Call Bushmaster and in so many words they said "Sorry, we will not do anything about it."

I had to get a Folding FSB to fix it...so I figured that if I'm going to throw money at it, I'm going to buy what I want...

My Bushy was screwed-up at the factory and they let me down. First and last Bushmaster I ever own..in fact..it maybe going to a gun show this weekend to be sold..

Not saying you are lying but this is the first I have heard of anyone not getting help from Bushmaster.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice setup..

Not saying you are lying but this is the first I have heard of anyone not getting help from Bushmaster.  

Yep..Then I must be the first..

I called 4 times and could not get one person to listen to me...

That's ok..I have several Colts and they more than make up for the Bushmaster's flaws..

The sad thing...I have spent alot of money with Bushmaster over the years..this was my first complete, factory built rifle from them.

I have noticed that as Bushmaster grows and sales increase that their quality goes down. mine is not the first to have a badly canted FSB..and at the rate that they are going, it will not be the last.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Unicorn
EVERY M16 or M4 I've zeroed has looked like that. Colt or FN. I might just have wierd eyes or something. Do you use any other iron sighted rifles, particularly AR's, and if so what are their sights like?

I have a BM shorty AK with carry handle. Its rear sight is right in the center.

This'll be fine, but I would prefer that it would shoot straight at mechanical zero.  I just wanted to check with those more experienced.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#10]
had the same issue with my RRA..its a combination of canting Troy and front site....If there is a tolerance issue with your upper....Just remove the front site and freefloat it and put a Larue low profile gas block with Troy front site and your good to go...probably more accurate then anyway....ARs will drain your wallet fast!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top