Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 10:03:26 AM EDT
I've got a Varminter with a Leupold mounted on in an Armalite One-Piece mount sitting on a Swan Sleeve.

My cheekweld is about 0.5"-0.75" higher than the stock.  Anything out there that anyone can recommend to raise the weld up just a hair?

I certainly don't want a Delta cheekpiece.  I just want to bump up a lil that's all.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a "stick-on" pad, made of closed-cell foam, available from Brownells. I forget who makes it, but just do a search for cheekpads, and it should come up. Also, there's a neoprene foam cheekpiece that uses different thicknesses of inserts to build it up to the desired height, also available from brownells.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a few rectangles of cloth covered with duct tape too reach the desired height.  Then cover that with black grip tape so it is grippy and does not look bad.  The tape go's around the stock so it stays in place.  Never done it on an AR though.  It may be cheep but it does work.    
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you need the swan sleeve with the Armalite mount?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
A BlackHawk cheek pad would work good, I have one on my LTR.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The Blackhawk cheek pad is nice and its somewhat height adjustable by adding or removing the foam inserts.

But, I agree with Frank, do you need the swan sleeve?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I like a BUIS on every rifle I own.  The Leupold I have won't clear the ARMS40 without a Swan Sleeve.

It's a personal thing I guess.  I'll look into Brownells.  Thanks for the replies!

H
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
You might want consider replacing the #38 with a Knight's 300m and mounting the Armalite right to the receiver. You could trade or sell the #38 to even it out. You might run into problems with the charging handle hitting the padding placed onto the stock.

Mark
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A BlackHawk cheek pad would work good, I have one on my LTR.
View Quote

Dont do it....
I put one on my flat top...ran around playin dress up for a day or so and I loved it...till I tryed to pull the charge handle....DOUBLE F*@k
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You might want consider replacing the #38 with a Knight's 300m and mounting the Armalite right to the receiver. You could trade or sell the #38 to even it out. You might run into problems with the charging handle hitting the padding placed onto the stock.

Mark
View Quote

good point on the charging handle....lol....that'd be a real bitch find out on the range!!!

I'll have to look into the Knight's 300m...to be honest I'm not sure exactly what that is...fortunately, I've got a couple beers with me right now and an hour to kill.

[beer]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#10]
The Knight's is a low profile flip up, it will allow you to use the Armalite mount and the scope will clear it. Medium ARMS #22 rings would also. Not sure, but I think MSTN or Sableco carries them?

Mark
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#11]
huh...interesting solutions to an issue I haven't put much thought into...figured since I had an ARMS38 sitting around I'd use it.  Using a different BUIS and lowering the mount would be a great option.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay,

I've got it narrowed down to the GGG Mad sight or the Knights...

The GGG sight has another aperature, and by the looks of it, sits 0.5" above the flattop when folded down.  That'll clear my scope bell.

Sweet!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Look at some of the stick-on moleskin products, come in various thicknesses and can be cut to shape.  IIRC the adhesive is not that bad to remove.  they conform well and aren't gonna be too rough on yer cheeks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:14:38 AM EDT
[#14]
same stuff you put in your boots to ward off blisters?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like a BUIS on every rifle I own.  The Leupold I have won't clear the ARMS40 without a Swan Sleeve.

It's a personal thing I guess.  I'll look into Brownells.  Thanks for the replies!

H
View Quote

I was gonna say, Knights 300m, but I was  beat to it. Good sight, just keep the insert in it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top