Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 4:32:42 PM EDT
Why in the world are railed frontends so expensive? I really don't think that they should be. Most of them are just plastic molds with cheaply manufactured reinforcement. It is definately a high profit item for the manufacturers. Question: does anyone know of a cheap. strong rail system (or, possibly, someone selling affordable attachments that attach to the standard mil-spec rails thus avoiding a different rail system all together)?

NOTE: this isn't meant to be flame toward many of the great companies making railed frontends. Of course you deserve to make money for your innovations. If you are a small company--and most of you are--of course you need to make a certain amount per rail.

But please, come on; there has to be profit for someone, somewhere to make a cheap, universal rail system that us joe-smoe 9 to 5ers can afford.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Most of them are just plastic molds with cheaply manufactured reinforcement.

Not to argue, but..  Which railed foreends are made of plastic?

-z
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Right, I'll make a distinction here. I was thinking of the plastic/composite HANDGUARDS that you can buy with built in rail systems versus the metal rails you can buy and simply attach to your handguards. Even the handguards you can buy that are totally made of composite metals ARE TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE. Alright. Got one suggestion in the $125 range. Anyone else?  

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]
What are composite metals, and where can I purchase some?

The entire AR15 industry is insanely high-margin, but I'm not sure who's benefiting. Example: M4 stocks should not cost anything near $70. If you're looking for a solid rail system, the YHM LW handguards are a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't look now but your ignorance is showing.

Stop looking at pictures on the internet and thinking that qualifies you as having a clue what you're talking about.

If you want an inexpensive railed forend, go here
www.yankeehillmachine.com
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The best bang for your buck is the Surefire rail system.  Its not Milspec but its good to go.  As to why the others are so "Expensive"  I think it has to do with a little law that prohibits you from selling something to the general public for less than what you sell it to Uncle Sam for.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Olympic Arms FIRSH. They're anywhere from $100 to $130, depending on what lenght you need. I think that's what you're talking about. Llama's right. The AR-15 industry is made up of a handful of major manufacturers and dozens of smaller shops. The smaller shops can make some excellent quality stuff but you do pay for it (large increase in price for a relatively marginal increase in quality). I'm not a big fan of the full forend rail system because the snag-factor is too high. If the only thing you need to mount is a light and maybe a VFG, then pick up a normal alumimum free floating handguard from Oly or Rock River arms and a bolt-on rail from PRI or GG&G, drill 2 holes, and bolt them on. Hopefully that answers your question.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The best bang for your buck is the Surefire rail system.  Its not Milspec but its good to go.  As to why the others are so "Expensive"  I think it has to do with a little law that prohibits you from selling something to the general public for less than what you sell it to Uncle Sam for.

If that was the case hammers would cost $100 and toilets would cost $3k
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If that was the case hammers would cost $100 and toilets would cost $3k

not if you're buying just plain-old hammers instead of MIL-SPEC hammers and toilets
it's just like the price difference between a plain bolt /screw and one that's marked 'NAS'.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
"Don't look now but your ignorance is showing."

And I have no problem admitting it. Crow tastes good with enough tabasco.  I would have to say--and yes, I'm sure it's obvious--I'm not much of an AR guy...yet. I only have one AR that I put together from a kit I bought via J&T five years ago. It is an A2 post ban, non crome-lined barrel I put on an OLY stripped lower. Thing was, it was easy as pie to put together (much easier than the FALs and AKs I've built) and has always shot great. Even though I'm coming across as a dumbass (again, I can handle that), my question is getting answered about good affordable rails and handguards. I'm about to buy the stuff for a 16" M4 build. I just added a post: "Stuff for an M4 build." I'll look at your suggestion as to which rails/handguards to buy. Ignorant...only until I learn about it. Then I'll be a damn genius!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't look now but your ignorance is showing.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ditto.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The best bang for your buck is the Surefire rail system.  

How do you figure?  The YHM is very similar and costs a lot less.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 more for the Yankee Hill units.

Fulton Armory sells them for cheap.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#15]
There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#16]
True, but you'll never get elected telling people that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well a certain former NYPD and USMC guy who knows a bit about the M4 told me and everyone else in my class that the Surfire was the way to go if ya dont get a KAC rail system.  I got a Surfire and have to agree.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#19]
YHM from JTAC
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well a certain former NYPD and USMC guy who knows a bit about the M4 told me and everyone else in my class that the Surfire was the way to go if ya dont get a KAC rail system.  I got a Surfire and have to agree.  

That's fine, but it's also not what you originally said.  If you want to say that somebody (I'm assuming from your description that you mean Pat Rogers) recomends one brand or another that is fine and it is good to know.  But you used the term "best bang for your buck" when the YHM is a good quality part at a much lower price.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
True, but you'll never get elected telling people that.

Who's running?
Not me.

I think quality products are worth the price tag that they come with.

Of course Utahns are notoriously cheap thrifty and are always looking for bargains.  You don't live in Provo do you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Get the YHM handguards.  I got the Freefloat carbine length model in april or may when YHM was having a sale through their site.  I got them for less than $100 which you really can't beat.  Brightflashlights on the EE sells just about every type of YHM railed forends.  

It also wouldn't hurt to call YHM and ask to speak to Paul.  He's an excellent guy and has called me on several occasions to see if I had any problems with products I've bought from him.  I don't think he was expecting to hear about problems but wanted to check up on me to see if I had any problems trying to do the installation myself or to offer general advice regarding the way I wanted to go with my rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top