Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/10/2009 9:17:37 PM EDT
I am in the process of ordering a new rail handguard for my AR.  I want to get some covers for therails...but I  dont have enough info to  decide between the rail covers or the ladders.  What are the pros and cons of each?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I like ladders for their low profile and lightweight
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
With ladders i feel that i can get more of my hand on the rail and therefore better grip. Covers just feel too bulky to me and i cant grip them the way i want. I always try fiddling with hand positioning and can never get comfortable. With ladders its just grab a bunch of gun and let it fly. The ladder material seems to feel better too... not so plasticy.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never tried covers but I like my ladders
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#4]
the good thick medical tape, sprayed painted the color you want. once you mount your light, peq, and gangsta grip, wrap the whole shit and giggle in med tape, take it to the range and do some break contact drills, so it heats up and shrinks, then paint.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont like ladders
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the covers better.  I went with the Magpul xtm's.  They are also low profile
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:12:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1.  They are also much easier to cut to fit.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:24:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Another thing that will honestly be your personal preference.

It will also depend on what rails you are using.

With my YHM 4-rail I prefer the ladders.  With my LaRue I prefer XTM covers.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:03:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I ordered 'low profile' XTMs for my YHM rail thinking they were 'low profile' and it was like trying to grip a
small coffee can, and I don't have girly hands. I switched them for ladders and can't be happier.

I'll put the XTMs on the oval LaRue FF I'm saving up for.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't like ladders. They don't fill my hand as well. I am starting to put XTM panels on all of my railed rifles.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:32:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I use both.  Panels for where my primary grip will be and ladders to protect the rails in the other locations.

DN
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Ladders do not protect the rails as well they will easily tear up on most expediate rest

I use the ladder on my 12:00 rail the rest get covers
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#13]
All covers for me right now.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  They are also much easier to cut to fit.

+2
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:05:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I use both Magpul XTM rail covers on the sides and bottom rails and ladder covers on the top rail on my two carbines.

Ladder covers pros: Lowest profile, easy to cut and install, and covers sharp corners which are more comfortable to hold with the bare hand

cons: Virtually no protection at all on impact with hard surfaces, doesn't insulate against heat like rail covers

Rail covers pros: Better rail protection, insulates heat, some brands are low profile and have non slip ribs like the Magpul XTM

cons: Fit on rails vary some brands fit tight some very loose, panels have to be cut for better fit, some brands too thick and bulky

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I ordered 'low profile' XTMs for my YHM rail thinking they were 'low profile' and it was like trying to grip a
small coffee can, and I don't have girly hands. I switched them for ladders and can't be happier.

I'll put the XTMs on the oval LaRue FF I'm saving up for.

Wish I'd seen this before I ordered my XT panels. Got them on last night, and was slightly startled by how much they changed the feel of the YHM rail. I'll use them, but will take some getting used to. Probably going to order some ladders later, and save these for a different rail.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Dont matter what you get/ buy

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#18]
for me: ladders top & sides - cover bottom
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like the covers better.  I went with the Magpul xtm's.  They are also low profile

+1
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I roll ladders. I don't have big hands and I feel like I am able to get a better grip with the ladders. The Magpuls I  bought work great. Keep in mind though that I also don't have a vertical foregrip. If I did, I would probably use covers due to better heat shielding and rail protection.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the info guys.  I grabbed a troy drop in rail today, adn now I'm shopping for a good set of covers err ladders.  Well I know it will be one of them :)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#22]
My primary rail covers are TangoDown SCAR panels.

Ladders are used in conjunction to cover the remaining rails that the SCARs do not.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top