Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 6:44:19 AM EDT
I was looking through the EE and noted that someone had a RRA M-4 6 POS stock for sale that came loctited from RRA. I am going to put a single point sling plate on my M-4 stock when I get the wrench I ordered. I called RRA and they indeed loctite the castle nut. The tech guy said you needed to heat ( red loctite? ) the castle nut to get the loctite to break loose.  Has anyone tried this and what did it take to get it off.  I did a search but could not come up with anything.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The sling forum tends to have more information about this, but you will find it an easy task.  Heat the castle nut with a hairdryer until it gets nice and hot.  Chuck your wrench of it, and CCW unscrew it.  Before you heat it, you will probably want to figure out how you want to brace it.  

For a great write up, take a look at TAG industries Installing a single point sling mount page.

While you are there, check out their single point sling, I've tried a bunch of others and nothing else comes close.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The sling forum tends to have more information about this, but you will find it an easy task.  Heat the castle nut with a hairdryer until it gets nice and hot.  Chuck your wrench of it, and CCW unscrew it.  Before you heat it, you will probably want to figure out how you want to brace it.  

For a great write up, take a look at TAG industries Installing a single point sling mount page.

While you are there, check out their single point sling, I've tried a bunch of others and nothing else comes close.  

+1

I also have the TAG ASP sling and it is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

hair dryer didn't work for me and neither did a heat gun.

You'll need a propane torch (available at any hardware store), and a castle nut wrench.

Kroil may help if you let it soak.

you'll want to prevent the wrench from slipping off the castle nut as this can damage the nut lugs (may scrape some anodizing if you worry about this kind of thing).  I used a C-section of 2" pvc pipe pressed against the outside of the nut to prevent this (you may not have to)

Be patient...it'll come off.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:34:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys for the info and the link. I got my wrench and sure enough the castle nut would not back off. I used a propane torch on the castle nut, applied the wrench and it came right off. BLUE loctite had been used by RRA on the threads. After that it was a 5 min. job to put the sling plate on and reassemble. I  put some BLUE loctite on it myself to keep the castle nut inplace. It seemed like a better idea than peening the nut inplace. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a locticted castle nut that took MAPP gas to remove.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:01:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I've yet had any problems loosing any stock when I use this wrench.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:27:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I would just get one of them two piece single point sling mounts that clamp around the tube. MI makes them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top