Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 3:49:01 PM EDT
I was seriously considering making a Rock River NM AR-15 my first AR.  However, everywhere I look, all I see are those that chamber .223 Wylde.  Is there such a thing as a 5.56 RRA?

Which brings me to my second question, is .223 Remington the same as a .223 Wylde?  If not, what is the difference in the 2 rounds?  Finally, am I really giving up that much if I go with the .223 as apposed the variety of the 5.56?  

The barrel will have a 1 in 8 twist.  I plan on using it primarily as a target rifle, maybe, eventually, turning it into a poor man’s sniper rifle.

Any feedback is appreciated.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I am ordering an A2 RRA tommorow.  I went a store and held a couple and I swear now that they said 5.56.

But all of the ones on the net say 223 wylde chamber.

I am ordering this one:
[url]http://www.rockriverarms.com/standard_a2.htm[/url]

but according to this chart, RRA is in 5.56/Wylde.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?b=3&f=118&id=172[/url]

Hey guys, help the newbies :-)
what is Wylde??????????
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
For the purists they are different, but for us who just like to shoot they are all basically the same. .223 Wilde is basically a middle ground between 5.56 and .223.
5.56 Military chamber=loose
.223 Wilde chamber=bit tighter
.223=tight chamber for commercial ammo
And then there are Match chambers for Match grade ammo. Its all the same ammo, just different chamber tolerences.
Someone correctly if I'm wrong, as I got this info second hand.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Think of the Wylde as between the .223 and 5.56 chamber spec...

[url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]

[url]www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
However, everywhere I look, all I see are those that chamber .223 Wilde.
View Quote
Look at RRA's web site. They state what chamber each gun has [url]www.rockriverarms.com[/url]

A NM model might not be the best choice for you. Consider other options as well, especially if you consider modifying the gun to another configuration...the NM model is an awesome gun for DCM competition, but a bit pricey for casual shooting. IMO, YMMV
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The M4 barrels have the 5.56 chamber while all other barrels have the .223 Wylde chamber. If you want a true 5.56 chamber, buy one of their M4 barrels. While you're at it, get one that's chrome lined, as only the M4 barrels have chrome lining as an option.
B9
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#6]
So what is chrome moly?

I see barrels that say chrome lined, and I see barrels that say they are chrome moly.

I know chrome lined is better, but what the heck is chrome moly?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The M4 barrels have the 5.56 chamber while all other barrels have the .223 Wylde chamber. If you want a true 5.56 chamber, buy one of their M4 barrels. While you're at it, get one that's chrome lined, as only the M4 barrels have chrome lining as an option.
B9
View Quote

do you mean A4??
i dont see m4's on their site.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
It would be their Tactical Entry upper that has the M4 profile- while it is not machined under the handguards it has the cut out on the barrel and is chambered for 5.56 nato , I was suspect of this but my lower is stamped L.A.R 5.56 so I called the factory and was assured that it is chambered for .223 and 5.56 , its the throat diameter that is different .Chrome lined eases cleaning after sustained periods of rapid fire but RRA is post ban so what good is chrome lined it can't be fired fully auto it cycles rapidly but ...we can only shoot as fast as our fingers can pull the trigger . So chrome-moly should work unless you are going to Iraq !  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
B9
View Quote

do you mean A4??
i dont see m4's on their site.
View Quote

No, I am referring to the barrel profile. A4 just designates a RRA as a flat-top upper, but it's the barrel/chamber which is designates it as M4. Only on the M4 profile barrels do they have 5.56 chambers; all the rest have .223 wylde. It's ironic to me that the lower should be marked as 5.56, when it's the upper that we want chambered for 5.56. Then again there are no cuh markings on RRA uppers or barrels. Add to this the fact that noone has had any problems with their .223 wylde chambered guns. Buy what you want, as either will serve you well, but if it's chrome lining you want the only option is an M4 barrel.
B9
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#10]
i was asking because i just ordered an rra upper from adco and i got a little concerned.  
i got the a4 mid length upper the website says it is chambered for 223/556.  not sure what that means but i have a lot of 556 ammo and i sure hope it works in it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]
"A NM model might not be the best choice for you. Consider other options as well, especially if you consider modifying the gun to another configuration...the NM model is an awesome gun for DCM competition, but a bit pricey for casual shooting"

Russ,

Thanks for the info.  However, my casual shooter will be a Colt M4A in about 6-8 months.  I have always loved shooting, but have never really had a "precision" rifle and want to treat myself.  If I were a sensable person I would wait until I was eligable for the discount.  Guess I'm just not that sensible ;-)
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  So it seems this barrel will safely chamber a .223 and 5.56 round, but .223 will perform the best results.  This is the info I was looking for.

As far as getting the M4 barrel, I would rather take my chances with the 20” SS.  More suitable for my needs.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Rincon, that would be a good choice. I love my RRA 16" SS 1 in 8.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So what is chrome moly?

I see barrels that say chrome lined, and I see barrels that say they are chrome moly.

I know chrome lined is better, but what the heck is chrome moly?
View Quote

Chrome moly is a type of barrel steel.  4140 and 4150 (mil spec) chrome moly are used to manufactor almost all AR barrels that are not stainless steel.  

Chrome lining is added to the bore and chamber of the barrel which is manufactored from chrome moly steel.  Hope that explains it.

The Azalin
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top