Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 9:50:06 AM EDT
I've heard a lot of guys here criticize the RRA Dominator, how do we feel about the Tac Mount?
Up to this point, all of my AR15 experience has been with an A2, and that is limited. I'm wanting to get another rifle and I'm leaning towards RRA. I'm going to want to mount an Eotech, but I'm not sure which upper to go with. Should I just go with a flat top? What advantage if any will the Dominator or Tac Mount have over a flat top? I know the Dominator will have A2 rear sights. Should I order it as a flat top and add an after market mount? If I did order it with either the Dominator or Tac Mount, couldn't I just take it off later if I decide to go flat top or aftermarket? I wouldn't have to change out the entire upper would I? To many choices, not sure which direction to go.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The tactical carry handle is designed to work with an Aimpoint red dot sight. It even has a built in battery compartment that holds the battery the Aimpoint uses. It is useless with an EOTech because it puts the EO so high you can't see the irons through the EO window.

The Dominator mount is made for the EOTech. It puts co-witness in the lower third of the EOTech window. I love my Dominator mount for the EOTech. Can't imagine a better, more simple mount set-up for my uses. And yes, the Dominator and tac carry handle can both be removed later if you want to go with something else.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The tactical carry handle is designed to work with an Aimpoint red dot sight. It even has a built in battery compartment that holds the battery the Aimpoint uses. It is useless with an EOTech because it puts the EO so high you can't see the irons through the EO window.

The Dominator mount is made for the EOTech. It puts co-witness in the lower third of the EOTech window. I love my Dominator mount for the EOTech. Can't imagine a better, more simple mount set-up for my uses. And yes, the Dominator and tac carry handle can both be removed later if you want to go with something else.

How is the cowitness with the tactical carry handle?  I'm not sure what to make of it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is the cowitness with the tactical carry handle?  I'm not sure what to make of it.

There is no co-witness with the EOTech mounted on the tac carry handle. The tac handle rail puts the EO up so high that it blocks the iron sights. It's also too high for a proper cheek weld. I haven't used an Aimpoint on the tac carry handle so I'm not sure where the co-witness would be with that combo. Again, if you're using an EOTech holosight the tac carry handle is useless.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Entry Tac, ty for the response, but I'm not talking about the carry handle. Talking about RRA's Tac Mount.
I've heard a few guys hear mention that the Dominator is to limiting, that there are so many better aftermarket options. But sounds like you are just fine with your set up?
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Entry Tac, ty for the response, but I'm not talking about the carry handle. Talking about RRA's Tac Mount.
I've heard a few guys hear mention that the Dominator is to limiting, that there are so many better aftermarket options. But sounds like you are just fine with your set up?
Thanks again.

Oh, sorry... I just looked and didn't find a "tac mount" on RRA's sight other than the tac carry handle and the U.S. Tactical A2 carry handle mount. Can you post a link to the one you are talking about?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey no problem. I'm not very savy at posting links though. If you go to Eagle Firearms and follow the links for RRA's top end parts, they list it there. I believe all of the flat top AR's on RRA's site are shown with the tac mount instlled on the flat top.
Cheers!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey no problem. I'm not very savy at posting links though. If you go to Eagle Firearms and follow the links for RRA's top end parts, they list it there. I believe all of the flat top AR's on RRA's site are shown with the tac mount instlled on the flat top.
Cheers!

That is the Tactical Carry Handle. Eagle is calling it a "Tac Mount". It's the mount on the right at this link...

Tac Carry Handle

And in that pic it appears that the co-witness with the Aimpoint on the tac carry handle would be a lower thirds as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, you are right. See how confused I am?!?! lol
So that mount wouldn't be advisable for an Eotech? Still not sure how it differs from the Dominator, other than the height?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yep, you are right. See how confused I am?!?! lol
So that mount wouldn't be advisable for an Eotech? Still not sure how it differs from the Dominator, other than the height?

Useless for an EOTech.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Never understood why RRA lists this as a "carry handle"......................you certainly CAN NOT get your fingers through the mount to carry anything !!!

JF.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]
When I bought my RRA Entry Tactical from Pete at Legal Transfers, I knew I was getting an EOTech, so I went with the dominator.  Pete will let you get the dominator instead of the tac carry handle with no extra charge.  IMO, it works very well with my EOTech.  When I want to get a fancier setup with another type of back up irons, I'll do it, but for now the EOTech with the dominator works great.

JDC
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]
JDC, and if you want to switch out the Dominator and go with some thing else...like a LaRue maybe, all you do is take the Dominator off to switch it out correct?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
JDC, and if you want to switch out the Dominator and go with some thing else...like a LaRue maybe, all you do is take the Dominator off to switch it out correct?

Yep, pop off the EOTech, pop off the dominator, and pop on something else.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top