Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 3:00:19 PM EDT
Well, I've looked and searched on this site and my web-fu is weak.  Question is, what's the correct way to diassemble the M4 stock?

Going to do a little painting over the next few days, if the weather holds.  While I'm at it and got the green paint out, I thought I'd hit the few little parts on the M4 stock with some GunKote.  Not particularly wanting to bake that nylon/glass stock I thought I'd take it apart.  Attempted to drive out the roll pin from the stock latch, then unscrew the round nut, but it doesn't want to drive out; thought I'd ask before I poindexter it.  The stock is off the lower.  If it's too much trouble to get out it'll get left alone or maybe eventually a little DuraCoat.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this a collapsible stock?

If so, just pull down on the latch lever all the way (not just the rear part that lets you adjust the stock length) and slide the buttstock off the tube.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
 Well hell.  Had been jacking around with this thing for about 1/2 hour earlier this afternoon trying to drive the roll pin out.  Son came home from school, so I put it up for awhile and took a break to play with my boy; and not wanting to poindexter that stock.  Must be ate up with the dumbass today.  
  Went back to fool with it some more after posting the above.  For anyone's that interested:

1)  Push the stock release lever and extend the stock halfway between locking positions that allows the latch lever to be loose and the latch pin will be in an extended position.  The screw cap should be able to rotate slightly on the latch still captured by the roll pin.
2)  I placed the M4 buttstock on it's side laying it on a paper tablet (to cushion it) and a roll of masking tape laid on it's side to support the screw cap, trying to allow the latch lever to float with no stress on it.
3)  Using a small punch a little larger than the roll pin, drive it into the screw cap till it is flush with the countersink/latch pin.  Switch to a smaller pin punch the same diameter as the roll pin and finish driving out the roll pin.       All I needed was a "bigger" hammer.
4)  Press down of the latch lever and let the buffer tube slide out the back of the buttstock.
5)  Push the latch pin from the inside of the stock and unscrew the cap screw.  Then slowly release the latch pin and spring assembly allowing it to exit the top of the buttstock through the assembly hole.
* So easy, even an idiot can do it  
* Reverse directions for reassembly

Mods, you can delete this post if it's no use to anyone.  Probably a waste of bandwidth.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is this a collapsible stock?

If so, just pull down on the latch lever all the way (not just the rear part that lets you adjust the stock length) and slide the buttstock off the tube.

Yep; that works too. lol.  Definitely ate up with the dumbass today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top