Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 9:08:02 AM EDT
As alot of folks always want to know how the RRA rifles shoot, here's some results. Below find a pic of rifle, which was shot, it's a RRA Nat'l Match lower, 16" chrome lined w/ faux A2 like this, except w/ EOTech 511.A65 in place of detachable carry handle. While these groups are faily common for me when shooting from a sandbag rest (at 50 yards), they may not reflect the groups which you get, as guys around the range that have shot that same rifle, accuse me of sleepin with it....

Photo courtesy of Pete-in-NH, AKA "Legal Transfers"

Truth be told I'm not that impressed and wished for better, but these are the best from last 2 outings to ASC, here in Houston. Rifle was shot from sandbag at 50 yard range.

This is 20 rounds, fired in about a minute, (bit more rest time between shots):

This was 20 rounds, fired in well under 20 seconds:

All rounds fired were Winchester Q3131A.

Mike

ps - As an aside ordered a DPMS M4 A3 16" pre-ban Chrome Lined upper from CMMG yesterday and hope to have some comparision 50 yard groups w/ both Q3131A and my own 77SMK load, soon.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Mr. Wilson, I was wondering where I could find a rifle like the one pictured in your post.  I am new to AR-15s and like the way the RRA brakes look.  Any info on who or where I could find one at would be helpful.  And by the way I also live in Texas.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Mr Wilson - I'm interested in hearing how the DPMS stacks up.  I shot my 14.5" DPMS M4 (purchased from CMMG) yesterday, for the first time, and was very impressed with the accuracy.  Unfortunately I used crappy ammo (Wolf) but I'm hoping to go again this afternoon with Q3131A and see if the accuracy improves even more.  I'll try to post some pictures when I return.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's 25 rounds in about 30 seconds at 100 yards benched, from my RRA M4 with a Kobra red dot sight.  This was the last of my ammo, and forgot to adjust the Kobra the 2 clicks left it needed, so the group looks like it centered a hair right.  
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/188491/target1.jpg[/img]

The Kobra has tiny dot, if you dial the power down during daylight...VERY easy to see the black on the target at get the dot centered.  

Load was 55gr Nosler BT and 25gr of AA2230, lake city brass.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:47:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mr. Wilson, I was wondering where I could find a rifle like the one pictured in your post.  I am new to AR-15s and like the way the RRA brakes look.  Any info on who or where I could find one at would be helpful.  And by the way I also live in Texas.  Thanks!
View Quote

E-mail sent.....

Quoted:
Mr Wilson - I'm interested in hearing how the DPMS stacks up.
View Quote

I am too and hope to get to the range this week to loosen it up and see how well it shoots w/ a variety of off the shel and custom loads... Had a family get together this last weekend so didn't get to do any shooting.....

Nice 100 yard grouping [b]Fenian[/b], typical it seems of the new RRA post ban M4 as it seems quite adept with rounds from 45 to 69 grains.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
winchester ammo sucks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#7]
GET A 24 INCH BARRELL IF YOUR LOOKING FOR SUB MOA GROUPS BUT ON THE OTHER HAND BEING A BATTLE RIFLE (I HAVE THE SAME SETUP) I WAS QUITE PLEASED WITH THE GROUPS I GOT WHEN I TOOK MINE OUT FOR THE FIRST TIME TWO WEEKS AGO . DONT HAVE PICTURES DONT HAVE A HORSE ON IT OR A SNAKE OR A KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR BUT I'LL TELL YOU FRIEND IF THAT TARGET WERE YOUR FOE HE'D HAVE A REAL PROBLEM , SO DONT BE DISAPPOINTED ! IT'S A GREAT GROUP I GOT A SIMILAR GROUPING BUT NOT FROM A SANDBAG -STRAIGHT FROM THE SHOULDER !
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
RRA Nat'l Match lower, 16" chrome lined w/ faux A2 like this, except w/ [b]EOTech 511.A65[/b] in place of detachable carry handle. Rifle was shot from sandbag at 50 yard range.

This is 20 rounds, fired in about a minute, (bit more rest time between shots):

This was 20 rounds, fired in well under 20 seconds:

All rounds fired were Winchester Q3131A.

View Quote

What's the problem Mike? Looks pretty good to me for 2 strings of rapid fire. You really don't expect sub MOA with a red dot scope and rapid fire do you?

If you want to know how it really shoots, take the red dot off and use the iron sights. Sand bag it at 50 yards and take your time and aim each shot slowly. Fire 5 shot groups in under 5 minutes. This will give you a better representation of the quality of the rifle and the ammo. I seriously doubt that under identical conditions and other rifle would perform any better.

Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
GET A 24 INCH BARRELL IF YOUR LOOKING FOR SUB MOA GROUPS BUT ON THE OTHER HAND BEING A BATTLE RIFLE (I HAVE THE SAME SETUP) I WAS QUITE PLEASED WITH THE GROUPS I GOT WHEN I TOOK MINE OUT FOR THE FIRST TIME TWO WEEKS AGO . DONT HAVE PICTURES DONT HAVE A HORSE ON IT OR A SNAKE OR A KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR BUT I'LL TELL YOU FRIEND IF THAT TARGET WERE YOUR FOE HE'D HAVE A REAL PROBLEM , SO DONT BE DISAPPOINTED ! IT'S A GREAT GROUP I GOT A SIMILAR GROUPING BUT NOT FROM A SANDBAG -STRAIGHT FROM THE SHOULDER !
View Quote

Huh?
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/047933.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/040107.jpg[/img]

BTW, Using dot scopes and quick shooting those are excellent groups. I don't doubt with a scope slapped on and some match ammo they'd all be doing MOA or better.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#10]
WHAT I MEAN IS "THE COLT,BUSMASTER,KAC ISSUE" THAT THEY ARE THE BEST AND THEY MIGHT BE BUT IF IT GETS DOWN RANGE ON TARGET LOGO ISN'T THAT IMPORTANT. I'VE WATCHED THE ISSUE RAGE ON AT AR15.COM FOR A FEW YEARS AND I AM SATISFIED W/A RRA UPPER AND LOWER .I WAS JUST TRYING TO BUM OUT ANY COLT BM OR KAC OWNERS BECAUSE OF ALL THE DOLLARS SUNK IN THEIR RIG MINUS ACCESSORIES !
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I used this setup

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12456[/img]

To shoot this 5 round group

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12611[/img]

'Nuff said [:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top