Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2009 5:21:01 PM EDT
I just acquired a RRA complete lower with a NM trigger, Hogue grip, and a RRA 6-position tactical stock. I was suprised when I measured the diameter of the tube and discovered that it is a commericial tube measuring 1.68 inches. I am not certain this is a big deal to me, however, I understood RRA was all Mil Spec. Why should I prefer one or the other? Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know that RRA makes a mil. spec buffer. I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
They don't...commercial only.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, RRA has always used the "commercial" diameter receiver extension.

Mil-spec might be available from them as a custom order.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
For you there is no real difference in Mil Spec or Commercial tubes. They are a few thousands of an inch different. There is a difference in the angle of the end of the buffer tube, but again, functionally no different.

I have both commercial and Mil Spec tubes on the various rifles I have. I can't tell any difference between them. Its just what the maker decided to use.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep. I've researched this issue and it seems that commercial tubes on RRA uppers is common. I knew about the slight diameter difference and the angle at the top of the butt on the commercial spec, but, I still have not come across any reason that there are two versions. I suspect some engineer had a reason ... I sure wish I knew what they were thinking ... Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
It is less expensive to cut the threads into the larger diameter commercial tube.  There is slightly less thread engagement with the commercial tube but the difference in strength is neglible.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top