Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2009 5:21:01 PM EDT
I just acquired a RRA complete lower with a NM trigger, Hogue grip, and a RRA 6-position tactical stock. I was suprised when I measured the diameter of the tube and discovered that it is a commericial tube measuring 1.68 inches. I am not certain this is a big deal to me, however, I understood RRA was all Mil Spec. Why should I prefer one or the other? Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:35:10 PM EDT
I don't know that RRA makes a mil. spec buffer. I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:38:41 PM EDT
They don't...commercial only.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:45:01 PM EDT
Yes, RRA has always used the "commercial" diameter receiver extension.

Mil-spec might be available from them as a custom order.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:01:06 PM EDT
For you there is no real difference in Mil Spec or Commercial tubes. They are a few thousands of an inch different. There is a difference in the angle of the end of the buffer tube, but again, functionally no different.

I have both commercial and Mil Spec tubes on the various rifles I have. I can't tell any difference between them. Its just what the maker decided to use.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 8:33:39 PM EDT
Yep. I've researched this issue and it seems that commercial tubes on RRA uppers is common. I knew about the slight diameter difference and the angle at the top of the butt on the commercial spec, but, I still have not come across any reason that there are two versions. I suspect some engineer had a reason ... I sure wish I knew what they were thinking ... Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:40:55 PM EDT
It is less expensive to cut the threads into the larger diameter commercial tube.  There is slightly less thread engagement with the commercial tube but the difference in strength is neglible.
Top Top