Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 8:29:00 PM EDT
Ok so I got this trigger last year, and I put it in my SBR build. I have another 2 stage that was built a long long time ago before the changed the design, and I've never had any issues with it. This one, on occasion, will pop off two rounds at a time, instead of just one. It doesn't happen all the time, I'd say like once every 2 or 3 mags. I can't figure out why it would do it so irregularly. Has anyone else had this happen, or is there a quick fix for it? I love the RRA two stage trigger, but this just puzzles me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:43:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one that came in a factory built lower from around 2008.  I also used it in an SBR, but took it out because it gave me problems.  Under slow, controlled fire it did fine, but if I would fire rapid shots, it would fail to reset every 5 or 6 rounds and I would have to manually cycle the action to reset the trigger.  I ended up swapping triggers with another lower and kept the two stage for a range gun.  No problems with the SBR since then.  As far as your issue with doubling, it has never happened to mine, but I know it has happened to a lot of other guys with these triggers.  I would suggest calling rock river and see if they will repair/replace it under warranty.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:50:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one that I installed about 2008 that will do the same thing.  Especially if fired from a rest.  If you don't have a good grip on the rifle and let it ride on the rest it will double or more, every time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:00:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Its doubled from a rest, and from me just standing up doing quick fire drills.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had this happen with the RR trigger on my 16 inch .458 SOCOM several times.  This may not be your problem but what was causing mine was a grip that was too light and not manning up on the trigger when pulling it.  I was inadvertently bump firing off a couple of rounds when shooting from bench while using a wussy grip.  I tightened up my grip, squeezed the trigger like I had a pair holding the trigger to the rear during the recoil cycle and doubling quit and has not returned.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The implied point here is that the bolt carrier travel to the rear is marginal.  Just enough to pick up a new round sometimes, but not all the way back to allow the disconnector time to catch the hammer.  A version of short stroking.  

IF  IF you did the trigger checks per the RRA flyer that came with the trigger set, and if they were all OK and still are, look elsewhere first.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I won't argue with the basic point, but with a minimal stroke, there is less time for sprung things to engage and quit bouncing.  A weak disconnector spring has less time to engage or less snap to do it in a short time.  Or not.

I bring up the stroke because it seems to happen with under powered ammo more than stuff the flings the bolt carrier all the way to the rear.

The disconnector, second stage spring, in a RRA two stage is problematic.  RRA wants the entire lower back to sort it out and fit the trigger for you.  It is just as often NOT the spring itself, but the amount of second stage engagement left after holes, hammer, trigger, and disconnector wear in ever so slightly.  A slightly too long pin hole distance in the lower is death to this sort of two stage.  Too limited second stage engagement.  Likewise too short a distance is the spongy terrible triggers you occasionally read about.

(As an aside, there are combinations of .22LR ammo such that the low powered standard velocity ammo will push the bolt to the rear and pick up a new cartridge, but never set the disconnector.  They will sometimes run 5-10 shells before a more powerful one sets the disconnector.)

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top