Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/29/2003 1:39:21 PM EST
What do they stand for and the differences in them? I know RIS = Rail integrated System?
RAS? SPR? I read it DOES NOT mean Special Purpose Rifle. So what is it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:44:05 PM EST
Rail Interface System, Rail Adapter System, Free Floating, thought SPR meant just that..now I dunno.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:51:01 PM EST
RAS = Rail Adapter System FF RAS = Free Floating Rail Adapter System RAS II = FF RAS that attaches to front part of flattop rail instead of barrel nut. SPR does stand for Special Purpose Rifle. Based on the M16. There are two versions of the SPR. Both have FF handguards. Mk12 Mod 0 has a carbon fiber handguard and the Mk12 Mod1 has a Knight's aluminum handguard with integral rails. (According to Jane's Military Small Arms and American Rifleman) Go here for more info on the KAC equipment: [url]http://www.quarterbore.com/kac/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:56:18 PM EST
SPR ( does mean spec. purpose rifle ) and have been type classified by the Navy Dept. at Crane as the MK-O and Mk-1. RIS-rail interface system, RAS-rail adaptor system, FF RAS- free float RAS, RAS-2- free float and grabs one nothch on receiver, SIR- selective intergrated rail. Jack
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:27:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By Renn: SPR? I read it DOES NOT mean Special Purpose Rifle. So what is it?
View Quote
There are still some who insist that "SPR= Special Purpose Receiver", which it was originally. "Receiver" changed to "Rifle" when the "Special Purpose" application spread to other types of rifles, such as the Rem 700, ect.
Top Top