Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 6:59:39 AM EDT
Barrel Twist review on AR15.com

I notice Mr. Sattler knocks 1:7 as being only marginally good, even for 62 grain, and 1:9 as being the best for everything.
He also works for Olympic Arms who sell only 1:8 and 1:9 barrels. I found the review to be lacking in depth and possibly biased. Are these reviews "reviewed" by moderators at AR15.com, or just allowed to be posted out there.  Also is this really a specific product review? doesn't seem like it. Maybe a little disinformation? Not trying to stir the pot, just wondering...

note: I have an Olympic rifle which has been a good rifle, and have nothing against Olympic Arms, I am just questioning the objectivity and technical validity of this review. Ammo Oracle was a far better reference.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not positive, but I think those reviews have been there for years and years.  Back when that review was probably written we didn't have the large acceptance of the heavier grain 5.56 like we do now.  

I know when I first started looking into an AR back in '99, 1/9 twist was pretty much the only reccomendation for barrels, not so today with the current bullet technologies and understandings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm not positive, but I think those reviews have been there for years and years.  .

BINGO!  Corey hasn't been around here since the old board and even then it was pre 1999 when he left.

Back then we didn't know the advantages of the heavier loads for defensive use.  Back then 1:7 was only thought needed for military (tracers) and High Power shooters (who were using the heavier OTMs for long range target shooting).
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I see. I thought those were new reviews. That would explain it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top