Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 5:53:08 AM EDT
I purchased one of these: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=329349
I bought the one with "A-6" forge markings...its gonna need some finish work (filing dremmeling ect.) to get looking the way I want it to look...in order to do this properly i'm gonna have to take this thing apart...here are some questions:
1: Am I going to turn into a crazed animal trying to put this back together (looks like it could be
a bitch to put together again properly)?...need tips.
2: I will moly coat the entire piece after doing the filing and sanding...where this thing was
cut do I sandblast just the worked on area or the whole thing ...I want the sight to have a nice
even finish. Stickman may have the answer to this one!
Thanx for your input!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is a link to the manual. Info starts on book page 3-48. Page number is at bottom of book page.
www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf

I put saftey glasses on when I work on these as they have springs under pressure and punches are used. This is how it goes with me when I do one.
I find them easy to disassemble but they are a three hand part to assemble and easy to loose the bearings in the carpet. To start disassembly I drive  the cross pin below the sight out. It is the one that goes through the side of the handle piece. It must be tapped out. It is under spring pressure and a spring comes out the bottom inside of the base after the pin is removed.  (There are two more springs with ball bearings to worry about during disassembly. One inside a hole in the front of the base between it and the upper handle part and the other under the adjustment wheel in a hole in the cutoff handle part.) After the cross pin and spring are removed the adjustment wheel can be turned rasing the sight base untill it comes off. This is when the ball bearing falls out of the base. Sometimes the spring also. After the base is removed the adjustment wheel can be slide out the side of the hanle part. This is when the second ball bearing falls out. The adjustment wheel is two pieces so it must go back in correctly so that the set screw that adjusts the orintation of the two parts can be accessed through the top if needed later.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
A2 Rear Sight Disassembly

1. Remove the windage knob by driving out its retaining pin.

2. Remove the windage knob, spring, and ball bearing.

3. Unscrew the rear sight screw and lift out the sight and the leaf spring.

4. Remove the elevation knob pin by driving it out with a punch.

5. Remove the sight base and spring by turning the elevation knob up until the sight base is released. A ball bearing and spring will fall out of the corner of the sight base.

6. Cover the sight with a cloth and remove the elevation knob by pushing it to the left. A ball bearing and spring will pop out of the sight.

A2 Rear Sight Assembly

1. Insert spring and ball bearing for rear elevation knob. You can use a dab of moly grease to hold the ball bearing into place.

2. Remove the index screw from the elevation knob with a 1/16" hex wrench.

3. Using a punch, hold down the spring and detent and insert the elevation knob into the upper receiver.

4. Insert the spring and ball bearing into the corner of the rear sight housing and engage the threads into the elevation knob.

5. Turn elevation knob until the sight base is fully seated.

6. Start the elevation spring retaining pin into the receiver.

7. Insert the elevation spring under the receiver. Hold it in place with a punch (or the special tool made just for this purpose), then drive the retaining pin completely into the upper receiver.

8. Confirm elevation knob has been bottomed on the sight base.

9. Turn the index wheel until the "8/3" is lined up with the mark on the upper reciver.

10. Insert the index screw through the elevation knob and tighten.

11. Insert the leaf spring.

12. Thread the rear sight screw into the housing.

13. Hold the spring and detent into the windage knob and press it onto the rear sight screw.

14. Drive the retaining pin through the windage knob.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top