Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2016 12:15:29 PM EDT
Durability, and firing test. Viewer discretion advised.

https://youtu.be/ttxxNVKlo3M

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Worse than nails on a chalkboard... Hearing Brando in headphones is creeeeeepy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I think Mark mentioned something about heat treating that area of the locking tube.  Been a long time, I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Just watched it.  How sad. Thanks for the disclaimer.

PS I hate anyone that can shoot out of their own windows on their own property!
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think Mark mentioned something about heat treating that area of the locking tube.  Been a long time, I may be wrong.
View Quote
You are correct Hal, thats why I used the higher carbon content 4130 steel so it could be heated and quenched if desired. With the increased 1/4 inch surface area of the square pin (Stoners Suggestion)  it disperses the stress over the whole surface instead of just the tangent of the round pin which would be mere thousandths of an inch. I have put alot of rounds through stock 1 with mild steel and had no problems because of the square pin.

Yes Mark, it is very handy to shoot out of the shop. Steels out to almost 200. It was my dream for the longest time, and Ive been blessed enough to get there. The tradeoff was two car payments, but I have tow coverage, a cheap mechanic that likes guns, and revolving beater trucks so its all good.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Please tell me that wasn't my stock Matt!

In for the blem 607 stock discount! Good work man.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm surprised the original design did not use a return spring on the latch. I see no reason one was not included in the original design.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm surprised the original design did not use a return spring on the latch. I see no reason one was not included in the original design.
View Quote
I agree, it would make it way more functional. Then again  the whole stock design is a flaw in my opinion. Compared to a modern stock that is, at the time it was an ingenious first attempt. I know a few folks have done the spring return. Member Dzyner for one made his own springs on a few that he made. I think the modified airlift stocks that are on GB are using a different design that incorporates this.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Great video.
Man, I wish that I had neighbors like you to hang around with.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#10]

But really, that was a great video, and very cool to not only see your testing process, but the internals you're working with.  The squared off locking pins are a great improvement.  Good work, dude.

(It's also always amusing to see Retro-Heads for the first time, and how wrong your mental picture has been.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://data.whicdn.com/images/14293657/large.jpg
But really, that was a great video, and very cool to not only see your testing process, but the internals you're working with.  The squared off locking pins are a great improvement.  Good work, dude.

(It's also always amusing to see Retro-Heads for the first time, and how wrong your mental picture has been.)
View Quote
Too funny!! I know there was a thread awhile back where folks put up pics and I remember saying "huh" in surprise a lot. Kinda like I always pictured Lionel as a dude in his moms basement surrounded by 20 computer screens and mountains of parts searching the inter webs and using software to monitor deposits in our paypal accounts, then with an evil laugh he emails and offers you just the part you are looking for! (has anyone ever seen that dude? Maybe he isn't one person but really a secret group of retro heads watch, now I'm going to get charged double next time I need something.

Quoted:

Great video.

I could say the same after seeing your garage Dan! I do get visits from Rog, (Dzyner) on occasion.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Matt. Great video.....even had to laugh when you took the knife to the stock. For some reason, it reminded me of the old Timex watch commercials. (Yeah, I realize there are very few here that are old enough to remember those)
Also, fantastic work. Kudos
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool video and a really good presentation of the subject. You really "attack" the R&D stuff with aplomb!
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Too funny!! I know there was a thread awhile back where folks put up pics and I remember saying "huh" in surprise a lot. Kinda like I always pictured Lionel as a dude in his moms basement surrounded by 20 computer screens and mountains of parts searching the inter webs and using software to monitor deposits in our paypal accounts, then with an evil laugh he emails and offers you just the part you are looking for! (has anyone ever seen that dude? Maybe he isn't one person but really a secret group of retro heads watch, now I'm going to get charged double next time I need something.

Quoted:
Great video.

I could say the same after seeing your garage Dan! I do get visits from Rog, (Dzyner) on occasion.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Great video.

Lionel is a real person, actually seen him. Lives down the road from me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#15]

double tap?? OPPS
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#16]
So this is a repro?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Curious, what model and brand knife was used as a prying tool?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh you're sick aren't you?  

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Great video.

Sure, but how we know that YOU'RE a real person?!
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Great video.

Ugh.  Gives the rest of us folks named Lionel a bad name  Actually, he is a great guy, and we joke about our same first names sometimes.  Folks have confused us on the EE on more than one occasion.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Wife wishes my retro parts would find a new home.    

btw here in TX we don't have basements
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wife wishes my retro parts would find a new home.    

btw here in TX we don't have basements
View Quote

I have a basement you could store all of them in
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I'd rather go to a retro BBQ gathering than a family reunion. Ok I know I would. It sucks talking to people about Retro and getting a blank stare back all the time..

Hey BROvet04, Ill send you a nice type D if you snap a pic of him and post it up... Just curios guys, does he wear a red and white striped sweater glasses, and a beanie? Maybe hang out with a wizard and a little dog?

USAF-ORF: It is a Bench Made 440c Griptilian.

Stoner: Thanks man that means a lot! I actually have one of your Blem plates right now on the bench that Kaiserman pulled off the PIF from you, thats a really good design. I wish I had a CNC. I have someone else's too, I'm not sure who's model it is though it is different than all the others I've seen

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I think I'd rather go to a retro BBQ gathering than a family reunion. Ok I know I would. It sucks talking to people about Retro and getting a blank stare back all the time..

Hey BROvet04, Ill send you a nice type D if you snap a pic of him and post it up... Just curios guys, does he wear a red and white striped sweater glasses, and a beanie? Maybe hang out with a wizard and a little dog?

Stoner: Thanks man that means a lot! I actually have one of your Blem plates right now on the bench that Kaiserman pulled off the PIF from you, thats a really good design. I wish I had a CNC. I have someone else's too, I'm not sure who's model it is though it is different than all the others I've seen
View Quote
Oh boy....I clicked on the vid and was viewer #223...what do I win?

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Blem, lol, that's about all I can turn it. Some day I might get around to finishing some more parts to go with these.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Blem, lol, that's about all I can turn it. Some day I might get around to finishing some more parts to go with these.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/T00lmanii/P8156295_zps3d315089.jpg

I must clarify... A beautiful blem that that speaks to your ethics and good will...  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow! BRUTAL video!

Of course NOW I want to get back to work on MY GX!

Why is it that this place ALWAYS costs me money?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm in!

That thing is pretty damn hardcore. Says a lot that it made it 5 drops and barely scuffed the backplate.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'm in!

That thing is pretty damn hardcore. Says a lot that it made it 5 drops and barely scuffed the backplate.
View Quote
Thanks  thats hard Anodizing for you, and the fact its not Chinese Pot metal helps a bit too.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top