Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 11:13:41 PM EDT
The question:

Why does everyone make such a big deal of removing the taper pins and the sight base? I installed a free float foreend for the first time tonight, a Daniel Defense 12.0(thanks Prideboss). I used an old nail set with a concave tip and an 8oz brass hammer. It took no more than 4 strikes of the hammer per pin. The barrel is a new Colt 1:7 preban HBAR. Easy as pie

PS the Daniel Defense foreends are a work of art.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Some pins are way more difficult than yours was.  You had it easy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a BM barrel that (I think) is impossible to take those pins out. It wears a M4 RAS for that reason. I did my DPMS and RRA barrels pretty easy like yours too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I just did two Olympic barrels, and I needed several really good whack with a 1lb hammer...an 8oz brass hammer woudn't have budged 'em.  

some are tighter than others (hmmm...sorta sounds like something else lol).  My Model 1 rifles were really easy.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely ARMOR LEVEL activity ONLY!

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I will say that I shot a lot of Breakfree CLP onto the pins before I left for work the day I planned on removing the FSB. It had a whole day while I was away to creep into the pins and then I shot some more CLP onto the pins when I got home. I used the foam cushion on the inside of my Starlight case as a work surface since I didn't want to walk through the rain to my shop.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top