Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2006 9:00:29 AM EDT
Can you put a non M4 cut bbl with an M4 cut reciever?  Will this cause feed problems with the little lip this causes?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#1]
you can put a non-m4 cut bbl on a m4 cut upper reciver, HOWEVER, it MIGHT cause feeding problems, esp if your mag feeds the bullets a little lower providing a potential for the bullet to lodge under the non-m4 cut ramp

i would highly suggest that you try to mate the propper bbl (m4 or non-m4 ramped) w/ the correct upper reciever, esp the std cut bbls to a std cut upper recivers

i would get non-m4 cut recivers as they work well with both m4 cut and non-m4 cut bbls
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i would get non-m4 cut recivers as they work well with both m4 cut and non-m4 cut bbls

Too late.  Reciever I have for this build already has the M4 cuts.  BBL I was looking at doesn't.  Guys trying to sell it say it won't be a problem - but I learned a long time ago to take what salesmen say w/ a grain of salt.  Trying to see what majority here says.  Hate to drop 200 on a bbl then have to sell it at a loss and get a new one, but if it really will work it is a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too late.  Reciever I have for this build already has the M4 cuts.  BBL I was looking at doesn't.  Guys trying to sell it say it won't be a problem - but I learned a long time ago to take what salesmen say w/ a grain of salt.  Trying to see what majority here says.  Hate to drop 200 on a bbl then have to sell it at a loss and get a new one, but if it really will work it is a good deal.

ah, i see; what kinda bbl and who's the seller?

a problem may never arise, but the increase of a mis-feed or snag is higher, and, imo, it would be best not to have the increased potential

why not go ahead and get the bbl (since its a good buy), sell your m4 cut upper on the EE for the almost the same price you paid, and get another, non-m4 cut upper?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ah, i see; what kinda bbl and who's the seller?

11.5 SBR bbl (1/7) from Bushmaster.  No M4 cuts.  Have talked to two of their people with the concern, and both said the same thing (should be no problemo).  Will use this SBR socially, so want it to work 100%.  Not really ready to risl my life on the word of a salesman .
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#5]
There was post a while back talking about this exact topic.  One guy posted saying he inserted a mag and the extended feed ramps were completely covered by the mag thereby negating the  need for the extended ramps.  I was going to test it myself, but haven't gotten around to doing it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can you put a non M4 cut bbl with an M4 cut reciever?  Will this cause feed problems with the little lip this causes?

Bro, this can only be asked on a Thursday
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#7]
This is the SECOND M4 feedramp-Thursday violation today!

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'll kick my own ass later.

Normally, I would save all my feed-ramp questions for Thursday, but I wanted to get the barrel today if I could (before wife changes her mind on me spending money).

Anyone else wanna help a brother out?

BTW - I inserted a mag into my upper/lower combo w/ the bolt and carrier out.  Looks like the rounds sit well high of the feed ramp cuts in the reciever.

Freaking decisions.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

was wondering when yall were going to interject
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I just went threw this.  I put a new Vltor upper Rev on a 20 barrel.  
The Vltor has the M4 cut outs which caused the round to load at an angle hitting the barrel ext.  All I had to do was to blend the cut outs with the feed ramps.  Works like a charm.
Used my dremel.

You may not even have an issue.
wolf
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Now that it's thursday . . . . . . . .

I went ahead and ordered the barrel.  Too good a deal to pass up, and the wife gave the OK.  Will try it and see.  If it doesn't work out, I will just trade it for a non-M4 cut upper.  Shouldn't be too hard to find.  I don't have the stones to dremel any of my guns anymore.  Screwed up too many with 'simple' projects that ended up costing me more.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to Home-screw-O and buy them.  Its not like you have to use that much to blend them.
I think it took me all of 4 or 5 mins "same stone" Cone shaped.  Cost of stone ? Maybe 3 bucks?.  Seriously its just not that hard to do.  Just take your time if your not use to blending
metal.

wolf
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top