Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2003 9:39:29 PM EDT
OK, so I've recently picked up an ASA 9mm upper and ASA mag block. My understanding is that they are supposed to use UZI magazines. However, when I try to insert any of my recently purchased Uzi mags (FN contract mags, BTW), they don't even start into the mag block. Anyone have any ideas why, or this a case of the (in)famous ASA Quality Control? I'm beginning to think I may have to have some metal machined from the mag block, though it may be worth a stop by their place to see what they have to say about it since they are only 15 minutes from the house. Interestingly enough, the mag that came with the setup fits no problem, but it's also some no-name mag with a crappy follower.

Which reminds me, anyone have a source for replacement Uzi mag springs and followers?
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
True UZI mags, IMI star on them, work.  POS Mecgar and most FN 40's are tight. 4 of 10 of my FN 40's fit. Th others has to be surfaced ground and re-finished. Get the real IMI mags and you will have a smooth running upper.

or this a case of the (in)famous ASA Quality Control?
View Quote
, no, its FN quality.  They work in UZI's no problem....but they are all over in size.

[url]www.vectorarms.com[/url] sells true 32rnd UZI mags.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
POS Mecgar and most FN 40's are tight. 4 of 10 of my FN 40's fit.
View Quote

OK, that is probably the problem. I think the mags I have are the FN 40's ("40" marked on the back). I guess I'll trade them for something I can use. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Mags at a good price.

[url]http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=65207b764357413a140361593bee4c93&threadid=2873&perpage=15&pagenumber=2[/url]

Here's their web site
[url]http://www.coledistributing.com/[/url]

I ordered 10 for $100 and all 10 had the IMI star on them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Joeblack! I checked their web site and they only had the like new mags listed, so I will call them in the am to see if they have the very good mags still available.

-Greg
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
MP5_guy,..........Check you IM
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks MP5_guy!

You posted my post for me!  I too just got an ASA upper and ASA mag block with an UZI mag that was too big.

Tonight, I ground my UZI mag down.  It fits snug, as in it won't drop free if empty, but it slides in pretty easily.  I'll try it tomorrow and see how it works compared to the other junk UZI mags that I modified myself.  The 6 crappy 32rd mags that I have might cause a jam 3 times during one mag, or they might go 3 reloads before causing a jam....never can tell.  

Of course, now I really need my bolt, feed ramp, and barrel worked on by joeblack then I will be [:D]

J
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The 6 crappy 32rd mags that I have might cause a jam 3 times during one mag, or they might go 3 reloads before causing a jam....never can tell.  
View Quote

Tell me about it. Sometimes I went through a mag without a problem, the next time I would be getting some serious clearing drills. And whatever you do, don't use Blazer ammo. I had a box of it a friend had left for me to use, and it jammed every other round.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Uzi magazine were too lose in my ASA block which caused some feeding and extraction problems.  I purchase the CDNN 40 round (Argentine ???) magazine which seem to work better.  I may try using tape on the outside the Uzi magazines to get a tighter fit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#10]
The South African mags I got from Vector wouldn't even come close to fitting my ASA block.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#11]
My ASA mag block was tight fitting with most uzi mags,so I removed the feed ramp and filed the inside front. All my mags drop free and no malfunctions.The modification worked great.I use 20 and 25 rounders from CDNN.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The South African mags I got from Vector wouldn't even come close to fitting my ASA block.
View Quote

Me too.  I belt sanded .010 off all 4 sides and re painted.....they work now...
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mags at a good price.

Here's their web site

View Quote

FYI, FWIW, etc, blah, blah, blah.... Cole Distributing will hand pick the mags for $1 each. I suppose that's worthwhile to make sure you get IMI mags to save on the filing/grinding. But there is still the issue of cutting the mag catch slot...
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mags at a good price.

Here's their web site

View Quote

FYI, FWIW, etc, blah, blah, blah.... Cole Distributing will hand pick the mags for $1 each. I suppose that's worthwhile to make sure you get IMI mags to save on the filing/grinding. But there is still the issue of cutting the mag catch slot...
View Quote

DIY, or have someone do it for you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Actually, that's not really much of an issue. I have a drill press and access to a mill, so I just have to find time to do it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Actually, that's not really much of an issue. I have a drill press and access to a mill, so I just have to find time to do it.
View Quote

You will need access to a Carbide End Mill too.  UZI and FN mags are heat treated.  Mecgar (POS) are soft.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top