Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 12:56:22 PM EDT
Ok here it is. At the gun show this weekend I purchased a Rail system for a future build but build is now on hold due to being laid off from work and untill I line up some other type of work or go back to school.
I did put it up forsale in the EE board, One the note that it doesnt sell or I dont get a trade of a Rail system that will fit my M-4 without modifications.
What would I need to make this thing work on my M-4, I do like the thought that it would look a lot like a dissapater, and a free floated barrel would be great, Is this possible to do or would it not be cost affective.
Your thoughts and list of stuff I will need
Thanks
JZ
link to EE post

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Easiest answer ..... not possible to fit that onto an M4.

Hardest answer ..... possible but with WAY more work than you would ever want to do.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd be REALLY surprised if you couldn't sell it for at least $300 and have it gone REALLY quick.  Then with that kind of $$ you could buy a Troy or Sampson FF system that will fit your M4 and not require much work to install. (Edited to finsih the thought)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
ok but on the note that I dont sell it, Could I just take my front sight off and put a low profile gas block on the M-4 and move everything else foreward. I know there should be some way to use this rail system
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's what you'd have to do since the M5 is not a free-floating handguard rail.

First, you'd have to strip the barrel of the front sight tower.

Then you'd have to put a low-pro gasblock in the same place the front sight post was.  Next, you'd have reinstall the same front sight post, but this time further up on the barrel (assuming you have room) because the M5 requires the handguard cap for installation (or so I remember).

Now assuming you get all that done, there is no guarantee the low profile gasblock will clear the M5, which means some filing may have to be done.

All of the above will also require the removale of any flash hider, and that means that if you have a 14.5" barrel with a pinned on FH you will need to have to do extensive work to get that off and will have to permanently attach it as well when you are done.

All said, Forest is right, try trading to an actual M4 rail.

In essence, what you are thinking of is converting your M4 into a BM Dissipator.  But in the process pouring more money into it than buying a Dissipator upfront.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]
For whatever reason, there have been a lot of M5 RAss for sale on eBay lately, so many that they've been going for $250-$275 range. Not a good time to sell an M5.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#6]
cool that makes since. I agree on barrel length. Mine is 16in before the Flash surpressure. I thought one time I saw a 2 piece nut that bolted to the barrel to mount the hardware to and also a clamp on style Front sight that your hardware could be mounted to also.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For whatever reason, there have been a lot of M5 RAss for sale on eBay lately, so many that they've been going for $250-$275 range. Not a good time to sell an M5.

Yea I fear it is the Returning soldiers from Iraq that are selling of the stuff they dont need now that they are at home. You know all the stuff that Uncle Sam wouldnt buy for them so they shelled out their own hard eraned  cash. More power to them.

Well if I cant figure a way to use it on a M-4 then I will just go ahead with the 300 fireball project that I was going to start and put it on it. I did get good news that the company I worked for has agreed to also pay me my 2 weeks vacation also along with my Servants Pay.  So I applied for a outside sales position today with another company that may increase my pay by 3 to 6 thousand a year plus commission
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top