Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 1:04:23 PM EDT
Was wondering if any of you folks have / use these rail covers on your AR'S?
I would like to put some on my mid length quad rail aluminum free float tube but not sure which one's to get. which is prefered, ladder rail cover, or the solid rail cover. I would imagin that the five,ten, fifteen or eighteen slot is a matter of personal preference as well as color. Thanks  MC
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I have and do use ladder style rail covers on my rails and like them because they keep me from cutting my hands on the rought edges of the rails. As for the large rail covers I found them a little bulky for me but you may feel differently. Best thing to do would be to go to a local gun dealer and try both. I actually took my rifle to a close by dealer and they let me try both and I decided on the ladders. Hope that helps.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have some full covers to protect me where I might be handling it and ladders to protect the rails where I'm unlikely to handle it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've tried both and I think it all depends on application.  I run most of my AR's with vertical foregrips.  Rifles with foregrips get the ladder treatment.  Rifles without get panels.  My Favorite panel is easily the KAC panel.  Most of the other panels make the overall exterior diameter of the fore-end too fat for my preferences.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Folks, Thanks, these are exactly the kind of answers I am looking for. My reason for wanting the rail covers is to protect the hand. I do like the look of the ladder covers.
Anyone else?    MC
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used most of them, starting with KAC and now run ladders.  The ladders are the slimmest, dont come off unless I want em to, and dont have to slide off the front.  They are also the lightestand easiest to modify for custom length.  They are admittedly the weakest and are more prone to wear (consider them disposable after a year or two of rough use... keep spares), they are also the not as good if you shoot a lot of full auto since you can still feel some heat on teh metal between the slats but that is why I have a VFG.

I found my KAC rails allowed their retaining clips to rattel in my FF RAS and DD rail but not my ARM-R where they are solid.  The XT never rattle, are the stickiest, but come off the easiest since there is an edge to catch.  They are the second easiest to mod for length.  KAC is a bitch to mod for length and requires a griding wheel on the Dremel and will cover you with a rain of hot plastic specs in all directions.  Requires eyeprotection.

I didnt like any other hard panles other than KAC because they seemed slightly thicker and the KAC was already borderline too thick to me.

Any closed panel will hold up to a couple mags of full auto for fun or a few mags of crazy firing semi auto.  Dont let the ability to hold up to heat be a determing factor as it is a non factor.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Like to thank you all for your input. Going to go with the ladder rail covers. MC
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top