Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 7:39:42 PM EDT
I'm thinkin' about a new build, a CAR-15 with a L.E. stock.  The question is, how comfortable can this weapon be shot with such a short stock?  I know the shorter stock was made to take into account soft armor , ect. that LEO's ware so that with this padding it makes it feel like a full length stock.  Are you still able to shoot it without all this padding?   Talk to ya'll later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You can still shoot the rifle, but not easily or comfortably.  I bought the stubby stock for my first AR and then added a 1" DPMS spacer.  

I'm 5'8" and this combination is still a little short.  I have to move the stock in closer to my chest than I would with an A2 stock.  However, it is really is to get your nose to the charging handle with this setup.  

I'm currently thinking about switching to an A1 length stock for a little more length.  I think Cav Arms makes a stock that length.  Last time I looked Quantico Arms had it listed.  Unless you want really short, I would suggest the A1 length.
Scott
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Too short for me.
It's damn uncomfortable. Cheek weld is nearly impossible and your arm will be crunched into a "chickenwing" like position.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Iron just reminded me of another problem.  My grip isn't quite right with this short setup.  

Maybe it's time to get serious about a different stock...
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like I should just go with an M4 then.  I really don't care alot for the standard CAR stock but the M4 looks like it'd be more comfortable and it's got a sling swivel for the standard style sling to boot.  Thanks for the info guys. You saved me from makin' a big mistake.  Talk at ya'll later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
try a cav arms c1 butstock, a1 length with bigger trapdoor space than a2. i love mine made a big diff. over a2.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#6]
LE stock is designed to be used over body armour, so with a suit on its comfy otherwise its crap.  a 4pos collapsable will work the same, you collapse it with armour on, extend with armour off...
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually this stock is designed to be used with the PROPPER CQB stance that will place the stock in your pectoral instead of your shoulder.  With it in that position the stock is very usable and comfortable... A1 and A2 lengths are FAR too long to use correctly in a CQB stance.  You cannot use this stock prone.  Its a CQB only design.  It feels beter with a 1" spacer if you just have a T shirt on and no body armor.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:13:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Really depends on your height as well.  I have the ACE LE stock and being only 5'5" it works well for me.  Of course I have it with the full inch pad on the back which adds a little length.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not very comfortable, but it sure is handy...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top