Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2002 4:28:53 PM EDT
I have been thinking about purchasing either an EOTech 552 and an Aimpoint M2 or ML2. The EOTech 552 has a 1 MOA dot and uses AA batteries. The Aimpoint has a 4 MOA dot and uses the 3V "disc" batteries. My question to you Aimpoint users is: Are the 4 MOA dot and "odd" battery detrimental to its performance? I think that the 4 MOA dot sounds rather large and I would rather have my sight use AA batteries just for availability reasons; I could always swipe AA batteries from many items found in my home in an emergency, while the "disc" batteries are not used by anything I own. The weight savings by battery type means nothing to me. Please post your opinions. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The Aimpoint battery is good for 1.000–10.000 hours average with the CET diode...

With a Aimpoint extended battery cap (holds two)
thats 2.000-20.000 houres, with another x-tra in the mount thats up to 3.000-30.000 hours

Unless you are spending $3,000.00-$4,000.00 on night vision there is no need to get the M2

EOTech 550 with AA is good for just over 500 hours
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the same quandry, I have 14.5" with a SIRS, I have an older Aimpoint Comp-XD with a 3 MOA dot. My understanding is the 4 MOA dot is crisper due to filteration and actually smaller appearing than the 3 MOA on the Comp-XD.While I know the EoTech will not co-witness with the ARMS SIRS with the #40 ARMs, I'm tempted to go that route. Don't know if the new Aimpoint with the proper mount will co-witness. I still debating.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#4]
4MOA might sound like a big dot, but it is prefect for CQB to out to 200 yards.  4MOA means the dot is 4 inches at 100 yds.  It is not all that big, since a regualr head size is about 6-8 inches.  

The odd battery is not that big of a deal.  CET is definitely a good development.

You made a good point, AA batteries can be found anywhere, which is a great advantage to the 552.  Most all the SF guys that have gone to 551 have made the switch to 552 for longer battery life and that reason you stated.  in my opinion, EOTech reticle with the 1 MOA and the 65 MOA other circle is the fastest CQB sight on the market, bar none.  this is my opinion, your milage may vary.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
41 days of battery life as a minimum is pretty damn good. I carried an extra battery in the trunk (shoulder stock) on my post-ban and in my kit on my pre-ban. I've left my battery on for a week or so in the safe and still got a year's worth of use out of it. Every Christmas I replace the batteries in the smoke detectors and the optics.

4 MOA is much easier to pick up in the day light on moving targets than the tiny spec of 1 MOA. These things aren't meant to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with ... they're made to hit moving targets quickly. Sitting at a range plinking with the site is one thing and shooting combat style is something all together different.

My good uncle (Sam) could have picked anything he wanted and went with the Aimpoint. This is his opinion YMMV2.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Folks, I dont own an Eotech. I dont much like them. I know they are good optics, but I just find them bulky, I find the reticle grainy, I dont like the controls and I find battery life to be short. Having said all that, here is MY question.

I know the Eotech 552 takes AA batteries. But in all the research I have done, it ALWAYS says that battery life on this model is only up to 350 hours (not the 500 hours quoted by DBLTAP) when using *LITHIUM* AA batteries.

Lithium AA batteries are not the same as the commonly available alkaline AA batteries. In fact, I have never even seen one for sale anywhere. And I buy lithium batteries all the time for my Surefire lights. What is the battery life on the 552 with standard alkaline AA bateries? Is it somehwere around 70 hours like all the other EoTech models?

PS, Aimpioint M2 is my recomendation for a non magnified dot optic every time. Second is Reflex. Third would be EoTech. We'll see where the cards fall when the TriPower comes out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#7]
One tiem I had to disagree with you NewARGuy, I have to put Aimpoint and EOTech on par and well ahead of the Reflex.  and I have all three of them.  

Paul,

Although gov't choose the Aimpoint, that doesn't mean it is the best optic.  Army pick the Beretta over a SIG P226, does that mean 226 is inferior to the M9? not likely.  most of the time the cheaper bid usually wins the contract, in the case of the M9, Beretta won out due to a cheaper magazine price).  back when M-XD was choosen, the 1st Gen EOTechs was horrific.  Today the 2nd Gen 550 series are getting rave review from spec op teams. take it for what it is worth, why would SF teams go to EOTech out of their own pocket(or team budget) if the Aimpoint is a better sight??

it is just my humble opinion, your milage may vary.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#8]
new-arguy I read the "just over 500 hours " from SWFA:

"The AA version extends the battery life on the M550 to over 500 hours at the nominal daylight setting and allows operation in extreme artic "

www.swfa.com/riflescopes/eotech/index.html

I agree, the EOTech is just to bulky, I may buy one if they slim it down...
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is a chart they have, looks like Energizer has the Lithium...

Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, guys! Please keep the opinions coming.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you DBLTAP, that chart is useful. Looks to be about 300 hours with a quality AA Alkaline, and 500 with lithium AA's. Im curious how these numbers are obtained? For instance... Aimpiont tells you that on the highest setting, thei M2 will last 1,000 hours, and at the lowest setting, it will last 10,000 hours. So you can reasonably expect maybe about 5,000 hours from it.

I am curious to know if the EoTech figures are based on the being on the highest setting, the lowest setting, or somewhere in between?
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The battery life is test on default setting, which is somewhere ion the high middle of the EOTech.  I think there is about 18 plus setting in a 550 series EOTech.

As far as the battery is concern, Aimpoint has it hands down.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 4:05:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I have both and I'd go with the Aimpoint.  Your comment about 4MOA is relevant if your plans are to shoot at 150+ yards.  The EoTech would offer greater precission due to it's 1MOA inner dot.  Most red dot sight users are not distance guys.  The sight is for closer in work.  Perhaps an asuption on my part, but if you're a 150 yard+ shooter and an old fart like me to boot; go with a mini-ACOG.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#14]
As if the choices werent hard enough, now Gary has to go stir the pot even more by adding ACOGs to the mix. While it is true I'd take an Aimpoint over a EoTech, I'd take almost any BAC ACOG over either.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#16]
new-arguy

I was just at the CVS drug store at lunch and they had Energizer Lithium batteries, $3.80 more then the regular alkaline battery 6 pack

Link Posted: 10/24/2002 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
...go with a mini-ACOG.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting an ACOG for my pre-ban M4A3 this spring.

By the way, Gary, in regards to our e-mail exchanges the last couple of months, I'm still waiting...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top